Apple and Plum Crumble, a delicious Autumn dessert made with fresh seasonal fruit. This indulgent sweet treat has a hint of cinnamon, and goes very well with a scoop of ice cream or some custard. Super easy to make, and so indulgent.
Pumpkin might be the everybody's favourite in Fall, but there are so other many delicious seasonal vegetables and fruit, it would be a shame not to put them to good use. Take apples and plums, 2 underrated fruit, they are not only so yummy, but healthy too. So, why not use them for a fantastic crumble that will have everybody back for seconds?
Crumble is such a versatile dessert; it can be made with pretty much any fruit, and it uses simple ingredients that won't break your bank. It might be cheap to make it, but it surely tastes as delicious as a posh dessert in an expensive restaurant. And the prep is minimal, it's ready to go in the oven in less than 10 minutes.
Once you dump everything in, sit back and wait for one amazing crumble. It takes a bit to bake, 45 minutes to one hour, but you don't really need to keep checking it, so you can get on with whatever you need to do. Do check the oven after 45 minutes to see how long (if at all) it still needs to be left in.
Ingredients needed to make apple and plum crumble
- fresh plums -pitted and chopped
- apples - peeled, cored and chopped, about 4 apples
- sugar - for the filling and topping
- ground cinnamon
- plain flour
- butter - I used unsalted, but salted also ok
- oats - I used porridge oats, but jumbo oats also ok
Step-by-step photos and instructions
Make sure the plums are well ripe and juicy, and the apples are of the sweet variety, in this way we don't need to add too much refined sugar. Plus, the natural sweetness of the fruit brings so much flavour to this crumble.
- pit the plums, peel and core the apples, and chop everything in big chunks
- add the sugar and cinnamon and mix well, then set aside
- in a large bowl, add the flour and the butter, and rub them together until they resemble breadcrumbs
Note! Make sure the butter is cold, otherwise you can't get the crumb texture. Do not remove it from the fridge earlier!
- add the oats and sugar and mix them all together
- butter an oven-proof dish, spread the fruit all over, then top with the oat and flour mixture
- bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden
You can make the crumble with apples or plums only, just double up the amount of fruit and you can follow the exact same steps, no need to do anything differently. Although I find this combo a very yummy one.
What to serve with fruit crumble?
As delicious as this crumble is on its own, take it to the very next level by serving it with a nice scoop of ice cream (any kind of flavour you like), a good dollop of cream, or pour over some homemade custard. Whatever you go for, you won't regret your choice.
Other crumble recipes
If you’ve tried this APPLE AND PLUM CRUMBLE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Apple and Plum Crumble
- 2 ½ cups fresh plums (pitted and chopped, about 10 plums)
- 1 ½ cups apples (peeled, cored and chopped, about 4 apples)
- 100 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 175 g plain flour
- 150 g butter
- 50 g oats
- In a bow, mix the chopped plums, apples, cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, add the flour and butter cut into cubes, and use your hands to rub them together until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add the oats, and the remaining sugar and mix well.
- Butter an oven-proof dish, arrange the fruit in a layer, then top with the flour mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 190 degrees Celsius (375 Fahreneheit) for 45-60 minutes or until the top is golden.
- If you'd like to see the ingredients listed in cups and ounces, please check the US Customary Link.
- Also, the amount of ingredients changes depending on the servings, so click on the number listed to change it to the number you prefer.
- You can make the crumble with apples or plums only, just double up the amount of fruit and you can follow the exact same steps, no need to do anything differently. Although I find this combo a very yummy one.