Stuffed vegetables are not only divinely tasty and healthy, but also a great way of using up whatever is left in the fridge. A few of my favourite are Stuffed aubergines and Stuffed red bell peppers, and today l got to experiment with Portobello mushrooms. The result was more than appealing, as these fancy stuffed Portobello mushrooms come packed with some seriously healthy beauties: broccoli and sweet red peppers.
Cooked on their own, these veggies do not seem too tempting enough for some people, which is a shame, so a bit of helping hand from the nation’s favourite Cheddar cheese is more than welcome. It just brings some cheesy goodness that brings up a whole range of flavours. Also, my best friend in the kitchen, the ground black pepper, has not dissapointed me; some gentle spiciness was all l needed. Lovely!
Stuffed Portobello mushrooms with broccoli and sweet red pepper
- 3 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 broccoli
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 50 g Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and bring to the boil in salty water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until tender.
- Drain the water and allow the florets to cool slightly, then chop them finely and add to a bowl.
- Next, chop the onion and sweet red pepper and add to the broccoli.
- Grate half of the Cheddar cheese and add it to the bowl too together with the breadcrumbs.
- Toss everything well and season with ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Arrange the mushrooms on a baking tray and pack the broccoli mixture onto the mushrooms.
- Grate the remaining Cheddar cheese and sprinkle over the mushrooms.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot, either on their own or with sour cream.