31 January, 2016
Spicy prawn noodles
Spicy prawn noodles with courgettes and red peppers, a delicious Asian dish bursting with the most amazing flavours. This recipe is ready in well under 30 minutes.
I love Chinese food, it is so tasty and healthy. Stir-frying is a great way of cooking, most nutrients are kept in, and what I like most from stir-frying vegetables is that lovely crunch you get. Throw some prawns in, and the ultimate Asian dish is created. Ginger, garlic and spring onions together give the most wonderful taste to any food. If you fancy something different for lunch or supper, give this dish a try. It is easy, quick and delicious! And healthy too. If you like spicy food, do not be afraid to use as much chilli pepper as you like. Or, if spicy food is not your thing, just omit it altogether, you will still get a fabulous meal, guaranteed.
Throw in any veggies you like, or replace the prawns with other meat, this recipe leaves plenty of room for creation. Yup, that’s the beauty of home-cooking, you are the chef, you are the boss, and no one can complain about it. Perfect!
Spicy prawn noodles
- 160 g prawns, cooked and peeled
- 1/2 packet of noodles
- 4 big garlic cloves
- 1/2 red chilli pepper
- 3 spring onions
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 courgette
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- parsley to garnish
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Different noodles will require different amount of time to be cooked, but most of them would be ready in less than 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and add a tbsp of sesame oil, the noodles will get a lovely flavour.
- Heat a tbsp of vegetable oil in a wok or a large pan until smoking hot.
- Peel and puree the garlic cloves with a garlic presser, then chop the chilli pepper and grate the ginger and add them to the pan, frying for 10 seconds.
- Add the prawns and toss to coat in the oil, garlic, ginger and chilli. Fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Cut the green onions, red peppers and courgette and add them to the wok together with a dash of vegetable oil.
- Stir well and add the soy sauces, fish sauce and rice vinegar. Stir fry for a few minutes until the vegetables are cooked, but still have a bit of crunch.
- Add the cooked noodles and prawns and toss well, then remove from the heat.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and fresh parsley.