Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole loaded with vegetables, a hearty meal that is super nutritious and delicious. It's an easy dinner idea that is always a big hit with us. You can use any fresh or frozen vegetables you have around, plus any beans or pulses too for a filling dish.
If cooking from scratch seems daunting, it really isn't. Take this casserole: it's got everything you need: ground beef, that's super high in protein, a nice and colourful mix of veggies, beans, and rice.
Plus, some cheese to add some extra goodness, and take this casserole to the very next level. And that's definitely my idea of comfort food!
This casserole is so versatile, and it can be tweaked to your own liking or available vegetables and pulses, it doesn't have to be everything I used.
It's actually a great way of clearing the fridge, as absolutely anything goes - isn't that great when you can feed your family with minimal effort?
Step-by-step photos and instructions
It's might looks like the ingredients list is way too long, and the process of making the casserole is a long and complicated one .But it's actually super easy, and the wait is well worth it.
- start by sauteeing the onion and garlic
- add the ground beef and stir to break the meat until no longer pink and the liquid released is absorbed
- add the rice, carrots, sweetcorn, and black beans together with the beef broth
- leave to cook for about 10 minutes, then add the broccoli and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed
- transfer everything to an oven-proof dish, top with grated cheese and chopped fresh tomatoes
- bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese has melted
Can you make the cheesy casserole without an oven?
Yes, absolutely! Although having the dish in the oven really gives that lovely gooey melted cheese taste that is so satisfyingly divine.
But, if you are in rush and would rather finish the dish sooner, you can add the tomatoes and cheese once the liquid is absorbed, and give it a good stir. The cheese will melt nicely, and you'll still have a lovely cheesy casserole.
Best spices to use
You can keep the dish simple by just seasoning it lightly, or you can give it a Mexican kick by adding taco seasoning. The beans and sweetcorn are a staple in the Mexican cuisine anyway, so the dish definitely fits into that category. And there you have, a fantastic dish that the whole family will love. Do give it a try!
Other ground beef recipes
If you’ve liked my CHEESY BEEF AND RICE CASSEROLE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- 750 g ground beef (beef mince)
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- ½ cup sweetcorn
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 4 cups beef stock (broth)
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- fresh parsley to garnish
- ½ cup rice
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat up the oil, add the onion and garlic, and fry gently until soft.
- Add the ground beef, and use a wooden spoon to break it, and stir until no longer pink and the water released is evaporated.
- Add the rice, beans, chopped carrots and sweetcorn, pour over the beef broth, and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets, and leave to cook again until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Season to taste and transfer to an oven-proof dish.
- Top with cheese and chopped tomatoes and bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for about 15 minutes or until the cheese had melted.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- If you would like to see the measurements in cups and ounces, please click on the US CUSTOMARY link.