Healthy Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry in a fantastic brown sauce, a delicious recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes. It's the perfect choice if time is short, but you don't want to compromise on taste. Nutritious, easy to make, and delicious, what a winner!
Chicken and broccoli, the one food combo that never fails to delight my taste buds. Not just because, if you cook it the healthy way, it's utterly nutritious and absolutely delicious.
But also because it's a cheap, easy dinner dish that can feed the whole family. Even kids, well, those who don't mind broccoli, like the idea of my chicken dinner.
Chinese food makes a great take away, but you can also make it at home even quicker than it takes to wait for the delivery. The brown sauce uses a few simple ingredients that are often used in Chinese dishes, so worth having them around.
Step-by-step photos and instructions
RIGHT, so how do we make this deliciousness? Well, nothing easier. Stir frying is one of my favourite cooking technique, purely because it's quick, and dead easy too.
Plus, your vegetables still have a bit of crunch, which means you don't kill all the vitamins by overcooking them.
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks, add to pan with a splash of oil, and cook on a high heat until cooked through, it should be ready in about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chillies (if used), broccoli, and cook further until the broccoli is cooked to the desired texture.
How to make Chinese brown sauce
With anything Chinese, the sauce is the star of the show. It enhances the flavours, it brings life even to the most boring dish, and it totally transforms a pretty plain chicken and broccoli recipe into a truly spectacular one.
The homemade version of the Chinese Brown Sauce is way healthier than the take-out one anyway, so don't worry too much about high sodium or sugar content.
It's super simple to make, all you need is some good chicken stock (broth), oyster sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and rice vinegar. And, it you like it a bit thicker, you can also add cornflour.
But that's pretty much it, my take on the classic Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry, a recipe that I make again and again and never have enough of.
More stir fry recipes
If you’ve liked my HEALTHY CHINESE CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI STIR FRY WITH RICE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- ½ head of broccoli
- 1 cup rice
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoon chicken stock (broth)
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- parsley or spring onions to garnish
- Rinse the rice under cold water, add to a pan, cover with 1 ¼ cups of cold salted water, and cook on a low heat until all the water has been absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid, and leave the rice to rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and use a fork to fluff the rice up. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat up one tablespoon of vegetable oil, add the chicken and stir fry on a high heat for about 5 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the chopped garlic, ginger, red chilli pepper, and broccoli broken into florets, and continue to stir for 3-4 minutes or until the broccoli has the desired texture, either a bit crunchy or soft.
- To make the sauce, combine the chicken broth, oyster sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar, and pour it over the chicken and broccoli.
- Mix the corflour with 3 tablespoons of cold water, and stir well, then add it to the pan, and mix everything together until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from the heat and serve with rice.