Quick Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry, a delicious and healthy low-carb, keto, protein-packed midweek meal ready in well under 15 minutes. It's super easy to make, and tastier than any take-away. An Asian-style recipe bursting with amazing flavours.
Stir fries are my favourite midweek dinners. They are ready super quickly, and are so easy to make. Whether you go for a vegan, vegetarian, or meat option, there is so much to choose from.
Pretty much any meat or veggie can be stir-fried, and the technique will not be any different. Now, you can either include carbs in your stir fry, or cook them separately.
Rice and noodles stir fries are the most popular choices. You can cook them at the same time as the meat and veggies, but cook them in different pans, and add them once everything else is cooked, or keep them as a side dish. Whatever you choose, there is no right or wrong.
Step-by-step photos and instructions
Chicken usually cooks very quickly in stir fries, if you use chicken breast, cut into chunks or strips, if would be ready in about 6-7 minutes, then you can add any veggies you like.
What I like about asparagus is that it becomes tender in no time, which means our stir fry will be ready before you get a change to make a call and order a take-away. Isn't homemade food just the best?
- cut the chicken breasts into chunks, season with salt and pepper
- heat the oil in a pan or wok, add the chicken and cook for 6-7 minutes until cooked through and lightly brown
- add the chopped asparagus together with the spring onions, garlic and ginger, and leave to cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- add the sauce to the pan, stir well, and leave to cook for a further 1 minute
- remove from the heat and garnish with fresh parsley
Easy, isn't it?
Chinese sauce for stir fries
I used to buy the ready-made Chinese sauces before, but then I realised I can make them myself to my own taste. And guess what, not only it turns out to be cheaper in the long run, but the homemade sauce is divinely delicious too. Plus, you know what you added, no surprises whatsoever about nasty ingredients.
These are the only ingredients we need:
- light soy sauce (I used 2 tablespoons)
- dark soy sauce (I used 1 tablespoon)
- rice vinegar (¼ teaspoon)
- sesame oil (½ teaspoon)
- brown sugar (muscovado sugar is the best, as it brings even more fragrance, I used ½ teaspoon)
If you can't find light and dark soy sauces, just use the regular soy sauce, that should be ok. The light soy sauce usually adds sharpness to a dish, where the dark one brings colour.
Do I cook the veggies in the same pan with the chicken or separately?
Because asparagus cooks so quickly, there is no need to cook it separately. However, if you want to add other veggies that might need longer time to cook, you can remove the chicken from the pan once is cooked, add more oil to the pan, and stir fry the veggies on their own.
To assemble the dish, add the chicken back once the veggies are tender, pour over the sauce and leave to cook for a further 1 minute. I use both cooking techniques, depending what veggies I cook. Although, if you cut them finely, they will be ok to cook at the same time as the chicken.
Other stir fry recipes
If you’ve tried my CHICKEN AND ASPARAGUS STIR FRY or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 bunch of asparagus tips (200 g)
- 2 spring onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon brown muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks.
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a pan or wok, add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 6-7 minutes until tender and lightly brown.
- Add the chopped asparagus tips, spring onions, garlic and ginger, and leave to cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the asparagus is tender.
- Combine the soy sauces, sesame oil, sugar and vinegar, and pour over the chicken and asparagus, cooking for a further 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with chopped parsley.