Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry with basmati rice, a delicious under 30-minute dinner that is vegan and gluten free. Satisfying, packed with all the nature's goodness and super easy to make, this is perfect if you want a meat-free meal that is light, nutritious and delicious.
There is no secret that l love Asian cuisine. My recipes may not be authentic, but they rather have an Asian touch. And how scrumptious they are!
After all those heavy dishes and Easter chocolates, a nice stir fry sounds just like a fantastic idea to me. Tofu is a staple ingredient in Asian cookery and has many proven healthy benefits, being an excellent source of protein, calcium and iron, and lots other vitamins and minerals.
It is really versatile, and can be cooked in endless ways, having a subtle flavour and silky texture. If you are vegan or vegetarian, tofu is a great ingredient to cook with. But even meat eaters would agree that it is a great alternative to meat. I, for one, love it, especially in stir fries.
How to make tofu broccoli stir fry
I used marinated tofu pieces, so all I had to do was throw them in when the other ingredients were ready. But if you buy a block of tofu, just dice it up and add it gently to the pan, so that the pieces don't break and keep their shape.
To make the dish:
- heat up the oil, add the ginger, garlic and spring onions and fry for about 30 seconds until fragrant
- add the mushrooms, spinach and broccoli florets, together with the soy sauces and sesame oil and stir fry on a high heat until tender
- add the tofu, toss everything together, and remove from the heat
I have a separate post on how to cook fluffy basmati rice to perfection, you can check my How to Cook Basmati Rice to Perfection. And that's it, a quick and super healthy, not to mention so delicious dish that everyone will enjoy, these meat lovers included.
The best Chinese sauce for stir fries
A good sauce brings flavour to even the most boring food. The light soy sauce is sharp and salty, while the dark sauce brings colour. They are best used together, but if you have only regular soy sauce, just use that one.
My Chinese Stir Fry Sauce is absolutely amazing, and can be used for various recipes that are not necessarily Asian too.
Other stir fry recipes with rice
If you’ve liked my BROCCOLI TOFU STIR FRY or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry
- 160 g marinated tofu pieces
- ½ broccoli head
- 200 g closed-cup mushrooms
- 100 g fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup rice
- 1 ½ tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cm fresh ginger root
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Wash the rice several times until the water is clear.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water to a pan, add the rice with a pinch of salt and boil over a low heat until all the water is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, cover with a lid for 5-10 minutes, then remove the lid and fluff it up with a fork.
- Peel and chop the ginger and garlic cloves and finely chop the spring onions.
- Add the vegetable oil to a wok or a deep frying pan, throw in the ginger, garlic and onions and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Cut the mushrooms in quarters, and the broccoli head into florets then add them to the wok together with the spinach.
- In a bowl, mix together the light soy sauce, dark sauce and seseme oil and drizzle over the vegetables. Stir fry for 5 minutes until everything is tender.
- You can now add the tofu pieces to the wok, give it a good stir and remove from the heat.
- Serve it with boiled rice.
- Click on the US Customary link to see the measurements displayed in cups and ounces.
- The servings can be adjusted by clicking the number next to Servings.