How does decadent whipped cream hot chocolate sound on a cold winter day? I can already see myself sitting in front of a chimney having a sip of hot chocolate, while outside is snowing 🙂 Strangely, it looks more like Spring outside rather than Winter, it is a warm and bright sunny day. Not that I am complaining in any way, as sunny days in the UK are rare. Not sure if it just me, but there must be a connection between happiness and sunshine, as my mood seems to improve as soon as the sun comes out. I do not like dark cold days and, although I love Winter and snow, short dark days are not for me.
I am not a fan of coffee, I am more of a tea or hot chocolate girl. I am sure you will agree with me that the hot chocolate sachets available in the supermarkets are not only cheap, but taste cheap. Yuck! So why not make yourself a cup of heavenly hot chocolate to enjoy it from the comfort of your own home rather than a cafe? It is so easy to make and it tastes better than anything you have had before.
- 400 ml milk
- 1 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 100 g whipped cream
- 2 heaped tsp caster sugar
- Pour the milk in a pan and add 1 tbsp of caster sugar and cocoa powder.
- Bring it to the boil, keeping a close eye on it, as the milk may overflow when it boils.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave off small chocolate curls.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate curls, whisking until the chocolate melts.
- In a bowl, add the whipping cream with 1 tbsp of caster sugar and mix until it thickens.
- Transfer the hot chocolate to a cup and top with the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle some more chocolate curls on top.
- Serve immediately.