“This is a sponsored post by Quorn. All reviews and opinions expressed in this post are based on my personal view.”
Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Quorn made with Quorn Crispy Nuggets in a sticky sweet and sour sauce and served with fluffy basmati rice, a healthy and delicious family-friendly meal that is quick and easy to make in well under 30 minutes.
As a food blogger and mother of 2, I am forever in search of quick and healthy family meals that deliver when it comes to taste and quality, but they are also budget-friendly meals that do not have to cost a little fortune.
But cheap meals don't have to be unhealthy and sad looking, on the contrary. And these delicious Quorn Crispy Nuggets have been a life changer for us.
They are not only delicious, but are also low in saturated fat and a great source of protein and fibre. They come in 2 packets: one of 300 g, and a big bag frozen pack that is ideal for families.
You really can't tell they are not made with chicken - my girls couldn't tell the difference, and we all loved them. Meat-free products are so much more sustainable, but do not compromise on the taste you love.
Serve these Crispy Nuggets with ketchup and homemade baked fries, and you've made a child's day.
But you can also take them to the very next level by adding them to this fantastic vegetarian sweet and sour, and the ideal family dish has been created. I made the sweet and sour sauce from scratch and served everything with fluffy basmati rice - what a treat!
Ingredients needed to make Vegetarian sweet and sour Quorn Crispy Nuggets
- Quorn Crispy Nuggets - I used the frozen ones and baked them in the oven before adding them to the sauce
- canned pineapples pieces - fresh pineapple could work too but it has to be ripe and juicy
- red and green peppers - you can also go for any colour available
- ginger - I used fresh ginger, but ginger paste is also ok
- garlic - again, garlic paste could work too
- spring onions
- basmati rice
- vegetable oil - or any other odourless oil
- fresh parsley to garnish - optional
Ingredients needed to make the sweet and sour sauce
- cornflour - corn starch in the US
- soy sauce - or a combo of light soy sauce and dark soy sauce
- pineapple juice - from the tin
- ketchup - together with the brown sugar adds sweetness to the sauce
- rice vinegar - adds the sour touch
- sesame oil
- brown sugar - I used dark brown sugar, but light brown sugar is also ok
I made this dish with Quorn Crispy Nuggets, but you can also use Quorn Vegetarian Chicken Pieces. I used them before for my Quorn Chicken Pieces Recipe and they went down really well.
If you are not a big fan of pineapples, you can leave them out. In my Sweet and Sour Chicken I used only vinegar, sugar and ketchup, and that worked well too.
If you do not have cornflour, you can use plain flour too, but make sure you mix it very well to avoid lumps in the sauce.
Step-by-step photos and instructions
- start by preparing the Quorn Crispy Nuggets: preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit, 180 fan oven)
- arrange the Quorn Crispy Nuggets on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until crispy
- meanwhile, rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear
- add it to a pan set over a medium heat, cover with the water and a pinch of salt, and cook until all the water has evaporated, and the rice is fluffy
- to make the sweet and sour sauce, add the cornflour to a larger bowl, and pour 2 tablespoons of the pineapple juice over
- mix well to get a smooth paste
- add the rest of the sauce ingredients, and give it a good stir
- once the nuggets and sauce are ready, heat up the oil in a wok or frying pan
- add the chopped spring onions, peeled and chopped garlic and ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds
- add the chopped green and red peppers, and stir fry for a further 1 minute
- in go the pineapple chunks and cooked nuggets together with the sauce
- give everything a good stir for the sauce to thicken
- serve hot with the basmati rice
Make sure you have all the ingredients ready and prepared before you start cooking, as stir frying is a really quick process - chopping the vegetables can take longer than the actual stir frying process.
I prefer cooking the Quorn Crispy Nuggets beforehand if they are frozen, because of their size they won't have time to cook well in stir frying.
Other sweet and sour recipes
Other Quorn Recipes
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM , YOUTUBE, TIK TOK and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Quorn Crispy Nuggets
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 2 tablespoon cornflour (corn starch)
- 125 ml pineapple juice from a tin (4 oz)
- 3 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
For the rice
- 250 g basmati rice (1 cup)
- 475 ml water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the dish
- 1 pack big bag Quorn Crispy Nuggets (476 g)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks from a tin
- 2 spring onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- ½ red pepper
- ½ green pepper
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit, 180 fan oven).
- Arrange the Quorn Crispy Nuggets on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- To make the rice, rinse it with cold water until the water runs clear, then add it to a pan set over a medium heat.
- Cover the rice with the water, add the salt, and place a lid on the pan.
- Leave it to cook until all the water is evaporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat, but still leave the lid on for 5 minutes for the rice to fluff up.
- To make the sauce, add the cornflour to a large bowl, pour over 2 tablespoons of the pineapple juice, and mix well to get a smooth paste.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and give it a good stir.
- When the rice and nuggets are ready, heat up the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan set over a high heat, add the peeled and chopped garlic and ginger, and chopped spring onions.
- Stir fry for 30 seconds, then add the roughly chopped peppers and stir fry for a further 1 to 2 minutes - they do not need to be completely tender.
- In go the pineapple chunks and nuggets together with the sauce.
- Give everything a good stir for the sauce to thicken.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with the cooked basmati rice.
- Make sure you have all the ingredients ready and prepared before you start cooking, as stir frying is a really quick process - chopping the vegetables can take longer than the actual stir frying process.
- I prefer cooking the Crispy Chicken Nuggets beforehand if they are frozen, because of their size they won't have time to cook well in stir frying.