Crispy Baked Fries, super easy to make, with perfect results every single time. I will show you how to make healthy fries in the oven with a lot less oil. No deep-frying, just delicious fries that are nice are crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside.
I have been making these baked fries for so long, I am surprised it has taken me that long to get them on the blog. I am a big fan of fries - well, who isn't? - but don't like the idea of soggy fries that taste of reused oil. And shockingly, you still get some of these kind of fries even in restaurants.
The famous fish and chips, or Britain's one of the most popular dishes. Now, let's get something straight here, as some British and American terms are quite different: chips in the UK are fries in the USA. And crisps in the UK are chips in the USA. Confusing? Pretty much!
Although even in the UK the term fries is used too, but that to describe the long, thin chips. So, my recipe now. Nice and crispy, perfectly baked, golden fries that taste exactly like the fries ones, just healthier, and way easier to make too.
No need for a fryer, tons of oil, and batch frying. All you need for these oven baked French Fries is a baking tray, and maximum 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Then any seasoning of your choice, although just salt would do to. Let's see how to make them!
- potatoes - any kind would do
- olive oil - or vegetable oil
Step-by-step photos and instructions
As promised, this is the easiest recipe! Potatoes, salt and oil - they only 3 ingredients we need here:
- peel and cut the potatoes into fries
- use kitchen paper to pat dry them well - the drier the potatoes, the better, as that ensures the crispiness we are after
- brush the baking tray with a tablespoon of oil - use it even if you have a non-stick tray
- drizzle the fries with oil, and mix well, then season with salt
- arrange the fries in one layer, so that the can bake evenly
- bake in the preheated oven on the middle rack at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for 25-30 minutes or until golden
And that's it! No need to turn the fries over half way through baking, they will be nice and golden, and deliciously crispy without any effort at all!
Best seasoning for fries
I love simple fries with just a bit of salt, although you can take this basic recipe to the very next level by adding any seasoning you like. Some supermarkets might sell potato seasoning, which would be usually used for roasties, but that could do for fries too.
My favourite combo is garlic granules and paprika - be it regular paprika, smoked or spicy. Up your game by adding any dried herbs of your choice: thyme, mixed Italian herbs or rosemary would be a great addition too.
British people love their chips with vinegar - I can't say I like that, but hey. What I do like is the idea of gravy and cheese, now that sounds like pure heaven.
Or just a bit of ground black pepper, and they still would be amazing! No matter what you go for, these fries will not disappoint, that's for sure!
Anything you would use for your regular roast potatoes can be used for fries too, so do give them a try, you will be in for a treat!
If you’ve liked my CRISPY BAKED FRIES or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Crispy Baked Fries
- 5 medium potatoes
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit).
- Peel and cut the potatoes into slices, then cut lengthwise into fries.
- Pat dry the fries using kitchen towel, so that as much moisture can be absorbed.
- Drizzle two tablespoons of oil over, then mix well to coat evenly.
- Brush a regular non-stick baking tray with the remaining oil, then arrange the fries in a single layer.
- Bake in the middle oven rack for 30 minutes or until golden.