Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Stew with beans and spinach, a healthy Fall dish. Warm, comforting and filling, gluten free, vegetarian and vegan friendly, this dish is so easy to make, and perfect with the whole family.
In my family, cooked meals are a must, and there is no such thing as just grabbing a sandwich and that should do. Oh, no! That's not how things work over here.
My daughters might be little, but they do expect a cooked dish at every meal, which, to be honest, I am pretty chuffed with. It's not easy to get kids appreciate healthy homemade food, and it's amazing when that happens.
Take this dish, it's absolutely packed with the best possible veggies, and, because the sweet potatoes and butternut squash are naturally sweet, that makes the stew a big hit with the little tummies.
Add some pumpkin too if you have any, or any other veggies of your choice, the more, the better, and tastier too. Leftover veggies can be thrown it as well.
How to make butternut squash and sweet potato stew
This stew must be the easiest dish I've cooked in a while. It needs little prep, and you end up with the perfect comfort food that everybody in your family loves.
- Start by gently frying the onions, then add the peeled and cubed squash and sweet potatoes, the vegetable stock (broth), then leave to cook until the veggies are tender.
The rest of the ingredients are added after. I always choose to season any dish at the end, sometimes you don't need to add much, since the flavours of the veggies make the stew incredibly delicious.
This stew is my kind of food, it tastes great, it's super easy to make and it fills you up pretty quickly. With squash being one of Fall's favourite vegetable, it's hard to resist not cooking with it.
I find that sweet potatoes and butternut squash are a great pair and go so well together in any dish. And, together with the pumpkin, they are Fall's darling veggies, so it would be a shame not to use them.
For more colour, throw some other vegetables in, l chose spinach and beans, l love this hearty combination. Of course, anything else can go in, just choose your favourite: kale, arugula, cavole nero and so on.
If you want to make it even more filling, you can add some cooked sausages to it (chorizo is one great option), beef, or even grilled chicken, they would make a fantastic addition to the stew.
Roasted butternut squash stuffed with couscous and vegetables is another great option if you are looking for more Fall kind of comforting dishes. Do give it a try!
If you’ve tried my VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND SWEET POATO STEW or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Stew
- ½ medium butternut squash
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh or frozen baby spinach
- 1 can beans (400 g)
- 2 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley to garnish
- Peel and cube the butternut squash and sweet potatoes.
- Roughly chop the onion, heat up the oil in a pan and fry them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and sweet potatoes, cover with vegetable stock and leave to cook until they are tender.
- Add the cooked beans and spinach, followed by the tomato purée.
- Give it a good stir, season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- To see the measurements in cups and ounces, please click on the US CUSTOMARY link.
- The amount of ingredients listed can be adjusted depending on the number of servings you need, just click on the number next to SERVINGS.