Sardine Pate with creme fraiche, herbs and a touch of butter, a delicious appetizer for any gathering or a nice sandwich filling for every occasion. It's super quick and easy to make with a few easy-to-find ingredients, and bonus point, it's budget friendly too.
Tinned sardines are not only cheap, but also highly nutritional. And while you can enjoy them straight out of the tin on a nice piece of toast, they can also be taken to the very next level in this delicious homemade pate that screams perfection.
On their own, I absolutely love sardines in tomato sauce, but for this sardine dip I opted for sardines in oil, as I thought the tomato sauce might interfere with the texture and colour I was after.
What a game changer this pate is! I am a really big fan of smoked salmon pate, but we all know how expensive good quality smoked salmon can be. So swapping it for sardines is the perfect choice if you are looking for a more pocket-friendly option.
- canned sardines - use the sardines in oil rather than tomato sauce
- lemon juice - for a nice kick
- creme fraiche - swap it for sour cream or cream cheese if you can't find creme fraiche
- butter - at room temperature, it holds the pate together nicely
- spring onions - or chives
- garlic - you can increase the amount used if you wish
- parsley and dill - fresh herbs add a lot more flavour than dried ones
Step-by-step photos and instructions
- add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blitz to a smooth texture
- serve immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container
What to serve sardine pate with
My favourite way of serving the pate is with a nice crusty bread, crostini or some bruschetta, but you can also go for some good crackers, either plain or cheesy/herby.
It can also be served as a dip with fresh veggies like cucumber, carrots, celery sticks or peppers, the more colourful, the better.
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM , YOUTUBE, TIK TOK and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
- 2 tins sardines in oil ( 2 x 120 g, 4 oz)
- 30 g butter, at room temperature ( 2 tbsp)
- 2 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley and dill
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the oil well.
- Peel and chopped the garlic, and chop the spring onion.
- Add them to a blender or food processor together with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blitz to a smooth texture.