Hot Crab Dip with cream cheese, creme fraiche, cheddar and parmesan cheese, a delicious appetizer that is super easy to whip up with a handful of ingredients. It's cheesy and creamy, and baked to a golden perfection in only 15 minutes. A great appetizer for every occasion, no matter the season.
This crab dip is our new favourite appetizer, it's such a comfort food to have at this time of the year. And while you can enjoy it cold as well, there is something so satisfying about dipping into a hot dip on a cold winter's day.
You can go for any crusty bread, crostini, bruschetta or even pretzels, the dip is so versatile, you can't possibly go wrong with anything you choose. The flavours of the dip are rich enough not to need anything fragrant.
This baked crab dip uses real crab meat, I would not even attempt using the fake kind of crab meat, or imitation crab meat, that's just not my thing, apart from tasting so artificial, it's just not the right kind of ingredient for this starter.
You can buy crab meat from any larger supermarket, or fishmonger's , I used a combination of white crab meat and mixed crab meat, but you can use either, whatever you can find/like.
- crab meat - I used a combo white and mixed crab meat, but you can choose either. The colour of the dip will change depending on the crab meat used.
- cream cheese - I used Philadelphia cream cheese, but an own brand one would do too
- creme fraiche - adds a touch of freshness to the dip, you can swap it for sour cream if you can't find any
- cheddar cheese - or any other hard cheese of your choice, in the UK cheddar cheese is not red, so again, the colour of the dip will change depending on the cheese used
- parmesan - adds sharpness to the dip
- lemon juice - balances out the ingredients
- garlic - use as much or as little as you can handle
- spring onions - or chives
- ground black pepper - for a touch of heat
Why this dip works
- It's very easy to make - it's literally just a matter of mixing ingredients together
- It uses easy-to-find ingredients - or you can swap ingredients as long as the consistency of the dip does not change
- It's a great appetizer for every occasion - Game Day / Super Bowl, Valentine's Day, Christmas, you name it!
Step-by-step photos and instructions
- preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit)
- in a mixing bowl, add the peeled and finely chopped garlic, chopped spring onions, crab meat, lemon juice, cheeses, ground black pepper and mix well
- transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dip and bake for 15 minutes or until golden
You can enjoy the dip either hot straight from the oven, or cold - it lasts well in the fridge for a few good days. You can also prepare the dip the night before and bake just before serving.
If you prefer the dip hot only, you can reheat it in the oven at the same temperature, but lower the baking time to 10 minutes.
Other seafood appetizers
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM , YOUTUBE, TIK TOK and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Hot Crab Dip
- 120 g white crab meat (4 oz)
- 120 g mixed crab meat ( 4 oz)
- 3 tablespoon cream cheese
- 3 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 spring onions
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit).
- In a mixing bowl, add the crab meat, peeled and finely chopped garlic, chopped spring onion, lemon juice, black pepper and cheeses and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbling hot.
- Serve hot or cold.
- You can enjoy the dip either hot straight from the oven, or cold - it lasts well in the fridge for a few good days. You can also prepare the dip the night before and bake just before serving.
- If you prefer the dip hot only, you can reheat it in the oven at the same temperature, but lower the baking time to 10 minutes.