Grilled Teriyaki Scallop Skewers with courgettes and peppers, a delicious and healthy summer recipe that is light, but surprisingly filling. It's very quick and easy to make, and it's ready on the table in less than 15 minutes.
It might not look like proper summer just yet, but I can no longer eat heavier meals, they just don't taste the same as they do in winter. So, lighter meals it is then!
And with the barbeque season in full swing, these skewers couldn't be more delicious! I absolutely love scallops, and I cook them often, from simple Pan-Fried King Scallops with Chinese Brown Sauce, to Scallop Mushroom Risotto or Creamy Garlic Scallops with Pasta.
You can just fry them in butter and serve them just like that, but I find that Asian sauces take them to the very next level, the saltiness of the sauces compliments the sweetness of the scallops really well.
You can cook these skewers on a bbq, a grill, griddle and so on, whatever it's easier for you. As long as the scallops are cooked and the veggies get a bit of that delicious charred flavour, that's just perfect!
I chose a lovely teriyaki flavour to go with the scallops, but you can go for any other sauce of your choice as a marinade. There is no need to marinate is for too long, 5-10 minutes should do, as the scallops absorb it quickly.
How to make the marinade
To make the marinade, you need a few simple ingredients if you choose to make it yourself, it's a lot better than the ready-made sauces.
- dark soy sauce - it adds colour and depth to the marinade
- light soy sauce - it adds saltiness
- sesame oil - it brings a subtle flavour
- rice vinegar
- honey - it balances well the acidity of the vinegar
Mix all the ingredients together in a large bow, add the scallops and mix well to coat. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
How to assemble the skewers
I went for courgettes (zucchini) and peppers, but you can add any other veggies of your choice: red onion, aubergines (eggplant), tomatoes, and many others.
Thread the veggie chunks and marinated scallops on the skewers, and grill until nicely charred and cooked through. I actually like the veggies to have a bite to them, there is no need for them to be proper tender.
You can also go for a combination of scallops and prawns (shrimp), they should cook at the same time, and they are both absolutely delicious! Do give them a go, you will love them!
If you’ve tried my GRILLED TERIYAKI SCALLOP SKEWERS or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Grilled Teriyaki Scallop Skewers
- 250 g scallops ( 1 cup)
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell peppers
- ½ courgette (zucchini)
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- To make the marinade, combine the soy sauces, honey, sesame oil and vinegar in a large bowl.
- Add the scallops and mix well to coat.
- Set aside for 5-10 minutes for the scallops to soak up the flavours.
- Cut the courgette and peppers into chunks, and thread them on the skewers, alternating with scallops for a nice contrast.
- Grill until the scallops and cooked through and the veggies have a nice charred favour.