There is nothing that smells and tastes like Christmas the way oranges do. And if you combine them with cranberries, you know that you have the ultimate Christmas cranberry sauce with an orange touch for that juicy turkey bursting with the most amazing flavours.
When l was a child, oranges were not easily available in my country, so every time we had oranges was such a big thing, the whole house was infused with a christmassy fragrance. And Santa was usually bringing us sweets and bananas and oranges and l was always over the moon. In Romania winter can be pretty harsh, with temperatures dropping to -30 or so in some party of the country and lots of snow. I remember being extatic every time we had a white Christmas. Those were really happy days. Through baking and cooking traditional dishes, l get to live again the whole magical Christmas l once had as a child.
Although we do not associate cranberry sauce with the Christmas dinner, this is very popular in the UK. Any shop would sell fresh or frozen cranberries or cranberry sauce around this time of the year, but making it yourself takes only 10 minutes and it has a lovely sharp citrussy taste.
- 250 g fresh cranberries
- zest and juice from one orange
- 3 heaped tsp of dark muscovado sugar
- Grate the orange and then cut it in half and use a citrus squeezer to squeeze the juice out.
- Add the juice and sugar to a pan and simmer for a few minutes until the sugar has disolved.
- Tip the cranberries in and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve cold.