Grilled Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Kebabs, a fantastic summer recipe that is light, healthy, and delicious. Serve it with rice and a nice crunchy salad, and you have a great lunch or dinner. It's so easy to make, but it's big on flavours. A must-try recipe for the BBQ season.
Chicken is my absolute favourite meat, it's quick and easy to cook, and it doesn't happen often for my daughters to refuse it. They would gladly eat with in any dish, cooked in any way. So, chicken it is, and quite often.
A bit different, but also using chicken pieces on skewers are my Grilled Chicken Satay which are full of Asian flavours here, but the chicken is cooked pretty much the same way.
Now, these chicken kebabs, or chicken kabobs, are best grilled or bbq-ed. Gas grill or charcoal grill are fine, whatever works for you.
But you can also bake them in the oven if you don't have a grill, that's absolutely fine. They are usually cooked on skewers, but you can also bake them without.
- chicken breasts - cut into chuns
- Greek yogurt - you can also use plain yogurt
- lemon juice - either fresh or concentrated
- garlic - I prefer fresh, but garlic granules could work too
- ground black pepper
- dried mixed herbs
Step-by-step photos and instructions
- in a bowl, add the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, minced garlic, herbs and black pepper, and mix well
I used Greek yogurt as it's creamier, and has a rich, silky texture, but plain yogurt can be used too.
- cut the chicken breasts into chunks, and add them to the marinade
- cover the bowl with clingfilm, and leave to marinate for at least one hour
- soak the skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes, that helps keep them moist while grilling to they don't burn too quickly
- tread the chicken pieces on the skewers, and grill for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through
Chicken breast, as delicious as it is, has very little fat, which means the meat can dry up on the grill.
The secret to keeping it nice and moist on the inside it to marinate it beforehand. The yogurt, lemon, garlic and spices create a delicious marinade that works beautifully with these kebabs.
What to serve with chicken kebabs
These kebabs are absolutely delicious on their own, but a nice dip or sauce can make all the difference. The best bet is, of course, the garlic yogurt sauce, which is the same as the marinade. You can either save some before you add the chicken in, or make some more separately.
A good side is always a winner, be in a nice crunchy salad, coleslaw, rice or even potatoes cooked in any way. My favourite salads to go with the kebobs are Moroccan Couscous Salad with Chickpeas and Easy Chickpea Tabbouleh Recipe. Not only healthy, but so delicious too.
For some Middle-Eastern flavours, my Easy Baba Ganoush Recipe is absolutely delicious here, it's light, it's refreshing, and it goes well with any meat.
What is your favourite side dish to go with these kebabs? I can't wait for you to try this recipe!
If you’ve liked my YOGURT-MARINATED CHICKEN KEBABS or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Kebabs
- 3 medium chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- To make the marinade, combine the yogurt with lemon juice, minced garlic, black pepper and herbs.
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks, and add them to the marinade, mixing well to coat.
- Cover the bowl in clingfilm, and leave to marinade for at least one hour.
- Soak 4 skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes, then tread the chicken pieces.
- Grill for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.