Grilled Chicken Satay Skewers with peanut butter sauce, a fantastic appetizer that will be the star of any party. Absolutely flavourful and tasty, super easy to make, these skewers are the best of the grilling season. They can also be easily made on a grilling pan to be enjoyed all year around.
I can't really say that l'm a big fan of peanut butter, l may have it with a few slices of toast occasionally, but don't really miss it otherwise. Same with roasted peanuts, l like the salty ones, and wouldn't say no to having some from time to time.
But, surprisingly, l loved these chicken satay skewers, it's a wonderful combination of flavours, that l might otherwise find at least weird. But it works so well, and the chicken is lovely and tender.
You know me already, l do like Asian flavours, and to me that is ginger, garlic and soy sauce, as being the main ingredients to any beautiful dish.
There are, of course, other sauces too, but the soy sauce can't really miss. I always have some soy sauce in my kitchen cupboard, it works well with so many dishes, not just the Asian ones.
How to make the marinade for the chicken satay
Chicken satay is a wonderfully flavoured chicken recipe, and the secret to the best satay is the marinade. One tip here is to refrigerate the coated chicken pieces for at least 2 hours so that the chicken can soak up all those amazing flavours.
Making the marinade is super easy:
- combine the peanut butter with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, honey and sesame oil, and coat the chicken breast pieces well.
- the smooth peanut butter can be replaced with crunchy peanut butter for some more bite
How to make the best chicken satay sauce
I like the delicate texture of the smooth peanut butter, but again, the crunchy one can be used here too. l think it's pretty interesting and brings that something different to these chicken satay skewers.
And some gorgeous chicken satay skewers need some nice dipping sauce. The very best sauce is this amazing peanut butter sauce that just hits the spot. All you need for it:
- peanut butter
- chicken broth
- soy sauce
- lime juice
- cornflour (corn starch)
The cornstarch thickens the sauce nicely, otherwise it would be too runny. You can use regular flour if you don't have corn starch, but only used half the amount in that case. You don't need to wait for summer to have a bbq party, make your own chicken satay in any season, a grill pan is all you need.
Always soak the skewers in some cold water before using them, otherwise they will burn easily on the grill. I would recommend at least 30 minutes for the soaking time, but the more, the better. If you don't have any skewers, you can grilled the meat without, that's absolutely fine.
If grilling is not an option, the chicken can also be pan-fried or baked, the cooking time will differ slightly, so keep an eye on them. The marinade keeps the chicken nice and moist, so drying out is very unlikely anyway. Because the pieces are small, the chicken cooks quickly no matter the method used.
And that's all, a fantastic recipe that can be enjoyed for any occasion, be it an every day meal, or a more special one. Why not use the chicken satay pieces to make a lovely wrap too? It could easily replace the chicken in my Grilled Chicken Avocado Wrap.
If you’ve liked my GRILLED CHICKEN SATAY SKEWERS WITH PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Grilled Chicken Satay
For the chicken skewers:
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cm fresh ginger root grated
- parsley to garnish
For the peanut butter sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cm fresh ginger root grated
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- juice from ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon honey
- To make the marinade, combine all ingredients (minus the parsley), coat the chicken breast well, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on a few skewers.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook on both sides for about 3-4 minutes, until cooked through.
- To make the sauce, pour the chicken stock in a pan over a medium heat, add the ginger, garlic, peanut butter, soy sauce and honey and give it a good stir.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of the stock, mix well, then add to the pan.
- Stir well until the sauce thickens slightly, add the lime juice, give it a good mix, then remove from the heat.
- Place the chicken skewers on a serving plate, brush the chicken with the peanut sauce, and retain the rest of the sauce for dipping.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley (or coriander).
A great idea for the holiday season parties!
looks nice i'am gone try it
Thank you! I hope you'll like them! ?
This is a awsome recipe, I love chicken meat and I love chicken skewers but in this combination is really fantastic!
Thank you, Florentina, for your kind comment,l'm glad you like it! Multumesc frumos! ?
Yum! This is one of my favourite appetisers. Looks delicious
I made the Chicken skewers they were so yummy .