White Bean and Kale Soup, a light and healthy soup recipe that is vegan and vegetarian friendly. Packed with all the nature's goodness, this soup is really easy to make in well under 30 minutes, and it goes down well with the whole family.
Soups can be so underrated! It doesn't take much to put together a delicious steaming bowl of soup, and it can be as hearty or as light as one likes. They make an excellent starter, opening up one's appetite for a more hearty dish to follow.
This bean and kale soup is vegan, although it can be made vegetarian or meat-based too, as it's incredibly easy to tweak to whatever else you have around. But one thing is sure, it's jam-packed with nutritious goodness that sets one right for a healthy meal.
I don't cook often with kale, although it's so rich in nutrients and really tasty too. And if you have kids who don't mind greens, like mine, they you have a family-friendly dish that everyone will enjoy.
Adapted from my Greek Bean Soup, this kale and bean soup uses cannellini beans, red peppers, carrots, kale, onion and garlic to create a light soup that screams perfection.
- kale - use as much or as little as you like
- beans - I used cannellini beans, but butter beans are also ok
- red pepper - or any other colour
- onion - I used a regular onion, but red or shallots are also ok
- garlic - it might not be a usual addition to a soup, but I absolutely love it
- olive oil - for a more Mediterranean touch
- salt and pepper - to taste
- vegetable stock - or a bouillon cube and water
- tomato puree - for a nice red touch and natural sweetness
This soup can be made vegetarian by using butter instead of oil to fry the onion, or meat-based by adding chicken stock instead of vegetarian stock. You can also add cooked sausages to it, or any leftover chicken, ham, beef and so on.
Step-by-step photos and instructions
- peel and chop the onion and garlic
- in a large pan set over a medium heat, heat up the oil, add the onion, and fry until golden
- add the chopped garlic, carrot and red pepper, and leave them to sweat for 5 minutes
- add the kale and rinsed beans together with the stock
- place a lid on and leave it to cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender
- add the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat
This soup freezes very well. If you cook a larger batch, you can portion it into freezer-friendly containers, and freeze it for a later use.
To defrost, either use a microwave, or add it to a pan with quarter or a cup of water, and heat it up until it's piping hot.
Other bean soup recipes
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM , YOUTUBE, TIK TOK and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
White Bean and Kale Soup
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot
- ½ red pepper
- 2 cups fresh kale
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tin cannellini beans (400 g, 13 oz)
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic.
- In a large pan set over a medium heat, heat up the oil, add the onion and fry until golden.
- Add the chopped garlic, carrot and pepper, and leave them to sweat for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the beans under cold water, and add them to the pan together with the kale and stock.
- Place a lid on the pan, and leave the soup to cook for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Add the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat.
- This soup freezes very well. If you cook a larger batch, you can portion it into freezer-friendly containers, and freeze it for a later use.
- To defrost, either use a microwave, or add it to a pan with quarter or a cup of water, and heat it up until it's piping hot.