Strawberry Cake Roll with whipping cream, mascarpone and fresh strawberries, a delicious summer dessert that is refreshing and so flavourful. The vanilla sponge is moist and light, and the strawberry cream filling has the perfect amount of sweetness. A scrumptious dessert for Mother's Day, or a brilliant afternoon tea party.
If there is one word that best describes summer, that has to be strawberries. Ripe and in season, they are the very best fruit you could possibly ask for. Nothing can beat the real flavour of fresh and juicy strawberries. And as much as I love them on their own, the combo strawberries and cream is one of a kind.
This cake roll or roulade is the perfect recipe to put these beauties to good use. Whether you are looking for a delicious dessert to spoil your mum on Mother's Day, a treat for an afternoon tea party, or dreaming of a hot summer's day enjoying the Wimbledon Championships, this is the recipe for you.
Apart from the cooling time, the cake roll is ready in less than 15 minutes. The sponge is out of the oven in about 13 minutes depending on the oven, and the filling can be done in 2-3 minutes maximum. Let's see how to make it!
HOW TO MAKE THE SPONGE
The sponge is so easy to make, and it uses no butter or oil. It's very light and easy to roll, and, best of all, it doesn't break horribly when you try to roll it into a roulade, like other sponges do. The only ingredients we need are:
- self-raising flour - it helps the sponge raise nicely and stay light
- eggs - make sure they are at room temperature before you use them
- sugar - I used granulated sugar, but caster sugar could also be used
- vanilla extract - it adds a lovely flavour to the sponge, but it can be replaced with lemon, orange, almond or any other extract of your choice
- a pinch of salt
- Crack the eggs and add them to a large bowl together together with the sugar
- Beat well with a hand mixer until they triple their volume and they get a pale yellow colour
- Add the sifted flour, salt and vanilla extract, and mix well to incorporate
- Line a baking tray (mine is 26x36cm or 10x14inches) with non-stick paper, and pour the batter in
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for 13 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Remove from the tray, but do not peel the paper off, just roll it with the paper, and leave to cool completely
HOW TO MAKE THE STRAWBERRY AND CREAM FILLING
This cream is so silky and smooth, and the addition of mascarpone makes it taste like a strawberry cheesecake. Once the strawberries are washed and chopped, it's just a matter of mixing all the ingredients together.
- wash and chop the strawberries, and arrange them on a kitchen paper for the water to be soaked up
- in a bowl, add the mascarpone, cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract
- use a hand mixer to beat everything well until you get soft peaks
- add the chopped strawberries, and use a spatula to mix everything together
That's it! It's such a simple, but delicious filling that works a treat with so many other desserts too. Just make sure you keep it chilled in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
If you don't use it all up, store the remaining filling into a plastic container, and freeze - and you get the most delicious strawberry ice cream too!
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE ROLL
Once the sponge has cooled down completely, you can assemble the roulade.
- unroll the sponge, and spread the filling evenly - you might not need to use it all
- carefully roll the sponge, and peel the paper off at the same time - you can either roll it from the bottom up, for a longer, thicker roll, or from right to left for a thicker, smaller roll, there is no right or wrong here
- dust some icing sugar over the roll and garnish with strawberry slices
I like the roll to look quite simple, but you can also top it with more whipping cream if you like, it's entirely optional. And that's the roll done! It can be sliced and served straight away, no need for chilling. Enjoy!
If you’ve liked the STRAWBERRY CAKE ROLL or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Strawberry Cake Roll
For the sponge
- 5 eggs
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the strawberry filling
- 300 g fresh strawberries
- 250 g mascarpone
- 125 ml whipping cream
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the sponge, crack and add the eggs to a large bowl together with the sugar.
- Beat well with a hand mixer until they triple their volume and the get a pale yellow colour.
- Sift in the flour, add the salt, baking powder and vanilla extract, and mix again.
- Line a baking tray (mine is 26x36cm or 10x14 inches) with non-stick paper, and pour the batter in evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for 13 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the tray without peeling the paper off, and roll the sponge.
- Leave to cool completely.
- To make the filling, wash and chop the strawberries, and arrange them on a baking paper to soak up the water.
- In a large bowl, sift in the icing sugar, add the mascarpone, whipping cream and vanilla extract and mix well with a hand mixer until you get soft peaks.
- Add the chopped strawberries, and use a spatula to mix everything together.
- Chill the filling in the fridge until ready to use.
- When the sponge has cooled down, spread the filling in an even layer, and roll it carefully while peeling the paper off.
- Dust the roll with icing sugar and garnish with slices of strawberries.
- Click on the US Customary link to see the measurements displayed in cups and ounces.
- The servings can be adjusted by clicking the number next to Servings.