Classic Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling, the best Fall dessert that will be the star of your Thanksgiving dinner party. An easy, light and moist sponge made with pumpkin puree and a nice blend of pumpkin pie spice, plus a silky maple cream cheese filling, what a treat!
Is it Pumpkin season yet? Well, maybe not yet, but, I am sooo looking forward to it, that I could not help myself, I had to start my everything pumpkin baking already.
And since it's cooled down quite a lot, there is nothing stopping us from thinking of pumpkins, harvest, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and all the Fall fun. Yes, summer is fun, but, just think about it, lots and lots of yummy pumpkin treats winking at you from everywhere.
That for me it's more than enough to look forward to these happy days. And my pumpkin roll with maple cream cheese filling is the best start to my crazy Fall baking. It has the perfect blend of pumpkin spice that goes so well with the delicate texture of the maple cream cheese filling.
And what's great about it is that you can use as much or as little sugar as you like, the cream cheese makes it naturally sweet anyway, so I find there no need for much refined sugar at all.
- large eggs - make sure they are at room temperature
- self-raising flour - it makes the sponge light and fluffy
- baking powder & bicarbonate of soda
- granulated sugar
- canned pumpkin puree - or roasted pumpkin, cooled and pureed
- ground cinnamon
- pumpkin pie spice - or mixed spices
- soft cream cheese
- unsalted butter - salted also ok if you don't have unsalted
- icing sugar - confectioner's sugar
- vanilla extract
- maple syrup - or honey
Step-by-step photos and instructions
The sponge is out of the oven in about 10 minutes, and making it can't be simpler. If you have canned pumpkin, life is super easy.
- in a large bowl, sift the flour, add the baking powder, bicarb of soda and pumpkin spice
NOTE! If you don't have pumpkin pie spice blend, you can actually make it at home yourself, just play with the amount of cinnamon, cloves, all spice, ginger and nutmeg you like to use, and make your own very special blend of perfect spice that can be used in lots of pumpkin recipes.
- in a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs with the sugar for 1-2 minutes until fluffy and pale yellow
- add the pumpkin puree and beat to incorporate
- combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients
- line a rectangle baking tray with a non-stick paper
- spread the sponge mixture evenly, and bake for 10-12 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius (375 Fahrenheit) until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
And that's out sponge ready! A gorgeous light sponge that has a beautifully spiced warmth. And a gorgeous colour too.
If the pumpkin sponge is easy to make, the filling is even easier. Just make sure the butter is soft (but not melted) so it can be beaten easily.
- sift the icing sugar, and add it to a bowl together with the butter
- beat with an electric mixer until creamy
- add the cream cheese, vanilla extract and maple syrup and beat well
How to assemble the pumpkin roll
Once the sponge is ready, take it out of the oven and roll it starting at the narrow end (the non-stick paper is still attached to it- if it's not rolled while still hot, chances are it will break when you roll it cold.
Leave the sponge to cool down completely - otherwise you will end up with a big mess, and the roll will look rather bad. Patience really is a virtue when it comes to baking!!!
Unroll it, spread the maple cream cheese filling all over, then roll it again, while gently removing the non-stick paper - this should be very easy to come off without ruining the roll.
Cover the roll with clingfilm, and chill it in the fridge for at least one hour before slicing. You should get perfect swirls that look and taste amazing! For more Thanksgiving Recipes, why not try my Small Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes?
Other pumpkin desserts
If you’ve liked my PUMPKIN ROLL WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Classic Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
For the sponge
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice
For the cream cheese filling
- 1 cup soft cream cheese
- ½ cup soft unsalted butter butter (100 g)
- ½ cup icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- To make the sponge, sift the flour, add the pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and bicarb of soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add the pumpkin puree, and mix to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, mixing well to get a uniform batter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking tray (35cm x 24.5cm, or 13.7 x 10 inches) with non-stick baking paper, then spread the batter evenly and bake for about 10-12 minutes until the top springs back to touch and a tooth pick inserted in the middle of the sponge comes out clean.
- Carefully roll the sponge, keeping the baking paper on, then leave the sponge to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese filling, beat the butter with the sugar, then add the cream cheese, vanilla extract and maple syrup and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the sponge has cooled down, carefully remove the baking paper, unroll it, then spread the cream cheese filling, and roll again.
- Cover the roll with clingfilm and refrigerate for about one hour before slicing. Serve cold.