One-Pot Sausage Rice Recipe, a quick and easy dinner idea that sums up what comfort food is all about. It's a cheap meal that uses simple ingredients, but it's full of flavour and it goes down well with the whole family. Inspired by Gordon Ramsey's Spicy Sausage Rice, this recipe is tweaked to our liking, and what a dish this is!
If you have kids who don't like sausages , this sausage rice is a big winner. And you can also hide any veggies they may fuss about too. It's so easy to put together, that you don't need more than half an hour to have it on the table just in time for dinner.
And bonus point, everything is cooked in the same pot, saving you time and energy - the less dishes to clean after, the better. Rice is usually pretty popular with everyone, little or big, so this recipe is exactly what you need when time is short, but you need a delicious meal to keep everybody happy.
My sausage meat rice is adapted from Gordon Ramsey's Spicy Sausage Rice. In his recipe he uses spicy Italian sausages, but any kind of sausage can be used. My little ones don't handles heat very well (neither do I to be honest), so I used chipolatas, which are flavourful and easy to cook.
If you do want a bit of heat in your dish, you can either add chilli peppers, dried chilli flakes or spicy paprika rather than regular paprika. That should add enough heat, just use as much as you like.
- chipolata sausages - or any other sausages of your choice
- onion - of any kind
- red pepper
- cloves of garlic
- chicken stock/broth - it adds more flavour to the dish, but water would do too
- spring onions
- salt & black pepper
- vegetable oil
- fresh parsley - to garnish
Step-by-step photos and instructions
I used basmati rice for this dish, it cooks quickly, and it's a favourite with us all. When it comes to plain rice, basmati seems to be the only one I nail it every single time. So basmati it is now too!
- heat up the oil, add the chopped onion, and fry on a low to medium heat with a pinch of salt until golden
- add the chopped pepper and stir for a few seconds
- slit the sausages and crumble the sausage meat adding the chopped garlic too together with the paprika
- keep mixing with a wooden spoon until the sausage meat browns slightly
- rinse the rice under cold water, add it to the pan, and give it a good stir
- add the chicken stock and cover the pan with a lid
- cook until the liquid is evaporated and the rice is fluffy
- garnish with chopped spring onions and parsley, and season to taste with salt and black pepper
To me, this dish is already delicious as it is, even if the different kind of sausages than the ones used by Gordon Ramsey. But, if you want to add more to it to make it even more appealing to fussy pots, try mixing in different sorts of sausages. Chorizo would be a fantastic one here: it's got tons of flavours, and it adds more colour too.
Now, you don't have to remove the skin of the sausages if you don't feel like, just slice them up, and they are good as they are. Sausage meat has its appeal too, but whatever works for you.
I only used red peppers, but tomatoes, peas, carrots, green beans, or any canned beans, sweetcorn - are all amazing additions to this one-pot wonder meal.
If you want to use a different kind of rice, you might need to add more chicken stock/broth to make sure the rice is cooked to perfection - any brand is different, so add as much liquid as needed.
And that's all there is - one yummy dinner that that is sure to impress!
Other sausage recipes
Sausage and Butter Bean Casserole
Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta
If you’ve tried this SAUSAGE RICE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Sausage Rice Recipe
- 6 chipolata sausages
- 1 cup rice
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 cups chicken stock/broth
- 2 spring onions
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat up the oil on a low to medium heat.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan and fry gently until golden.
- Add the chopped pepper, and give it a stir.
- Slit the sausages and crumble the sausage meat over the onion, then add the chopped garlic.
- Mix well until the sausage meat is lightly browned.
- Add the paprika, and rice, and give another good stir.
- Pour in the stock, place the lid on the pan, and leave to cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is fluffy.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice up, season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped spring onion and parsley.
Leave a Reply