Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Breast with a touch of lemon, an absolutely delicious, low-carb and healthy meal for two. Serve it with broccoli spears or any other veggies of your choice. There is hardly any preparation needed, and you get some moist chicken breasts cooked in a super tasty honey mustard marinade.
A romantic meal for Valentine's Day
Planning a romantic dinner or perhaps you want to impress your other half with a lovely cooked dinner? Nothing simpler, no fancy ingredients required, and the taste is out of this world.
January can be a tough month, pockets are kind of empty after all that Christmas shopping, still trying to get around that healthy eating resolution. And, on top of everything, the weather's miserable: short, dark days, and too cold. A night in sounds fantastic,doesn't it? Especially if you want to make it to pay day.I know, long way to go.
But this meal, apart from being insanely delicious, only costs about £6. You really can't beat that! So, cuddle up on the sofa and enjoy, you are in for a treat!
Ingredients needed to make honey mustard chicken breast
- chicken breasts - the chicken breasts I used were of a medium size
- dijon mustard
- wholegrain mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon - can be optional, but I find that it works well with the other ingredients
- oil - or butter
Step-by-step photos and instructions
Chicken is a nice and lean meat that cooks well no matter how. And if you choose to bake it, there is no need to worry about the thickness of the chicken, this shouldn't matter much when it comes to it cooking through, but rather just for the amount of time it needs baking for.
- preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit)
- season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and paprika
- arrange them on an oven-proof dish
- to make the marinade: mix the wholegrain mustard with the dijon mustard and honey
- pour the marinade over the chicken, making sure it coats it well
- bake for 30-35 minutes or until it's cooked through
This recipe is simplicity in itself, but if you want to make sure it's as good as you can get, follow these simple steps for the ultimate chicken breast recipe.
Note! I found that the best way to keep the marinade from staying on chicken is to sprinkle it with paprika before adding the marinade.
Please see the right-hand size top photo above. It really does the trick, and the sauce is guaranteed to stay where it is supposed to stay rather than ending in the baking dish.
The chicken is ready in about 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts. I usually cook it for longer, just to make sure it's cooked ok, undercooked chicken is super bad, so I'd rather be on the safe side.
The chicken should be cooked at 200 degree Celsius, or about 390 degrees Fahrenheit. The chicken breast will be beautifully moist, melting in your mouth.
Other chicken breast recipes
If you’ve tried this LEMON HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN BREAST or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Breast with Lemon
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- juice from ½ lemon
- ½ tablespoon oil (or butter)
- broccoli spears to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Grease an oven-proof dish with the oil or butter and place the chicken in there.
- Season well with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a small bowl, combine the dijon mustard, wholegrain mustard and honey.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken breasts and bake in the oven for about 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken.
- You may add 1-2 tablespoons of water in the pan if needed to prevent the edges of the dish from browning if there is not much chicken juice released during cooking.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, squeeze lemon juice over and serve with broccoli spears.
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper and paprika before adding the honey mustard marinade. The paprika will help the marinade stick to the chicken.
- Add a few tablespoons of water to the baking dish half the way through cooking, this will ensure the chicken stays moist and the edges don't dry up.