Baked Chicken Bites that are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, a healthy recipe for kids and grown-ups alike. These nuggets are made with real ingredients, and taste even better than the fried ones. Serve them with any sauce of your choice and some veggies on the side, for a nutritious and delicious family dinner.
Chicken nuggets must be one of the most popular chicken recipes. And l can see why, they are some pretty bite-sized goodies that top the list when it comes to kids' favourite recipes.
Shame that most kids would only have the fast-food version, which l pretty much doubt has any real chicken in it. Or, if it does, it's poor quality and uses more than just chicken meat. Not for us!
Making chicken bites at home is quick, it's easy, and so delicious, even fussy little things will enjoy them. You can keep them simple by seasoning with salt and pepper only, or add any more seasoning to your liking: garlic granules, paprika, dried herbs, parmesan, are just a few excellent additions.
I used chicken breasts cut into chunks, as it's a nice lean meat that cooks quickly and kids love it. But you can make them with chicken thigh or any other part of the chicken too.
- chicken breasts
- breadcrumbs - I used golden breadcrumbs, but regular ones or panko breadcrumbs are also ok
- plain flour
- garlic powder
- salt & black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- Italian dried herbs
- cooking oil spray - for coating the chicken pieces
Step-by-step photos and instructions
These are way healthier than any chicken bites you will buy, no matter where from. Yes, you do use a tiny bit of oil to help them crisp up nicely. But that is pretty much it, no deep frying them in a oil that has been heated and re-heated and use for billions of chicken nuggets.
- cut the chicken breasts into chunks
- mix the flour with salt, pepper, dried herbs and parmesan and add them to a bowl
- beat the egg and add it to a different bowl
- have a third bowl ready with breadcrumbs
NOTE! To make the nuggets even crispier, you can add crushed cornflakes or weetabix to them.
- drench the chicken pieces in seasoned flour first, shaking off the excess.
- next, dip the in the egg mixture
- and finally in breadcrumbs
- arrange the bites on a tray lined with non stick paper, spray it well with cooking spray, then also spray the nuggets generously
Using a non-stick baking tray helps a lot, even though I still make sure it's greased properly. In this way, I know that the chicken pieces won't stick to the tray, and they will crisp up properly.
How long to bake the chicken bites for
Do keep an eye on them, but the nuggets should be ready in about 20-25 minutes if baked at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit).
A healthy choice
These chicken nuggets are made from chicken breast cut up in chunks, so no need for ground chicken or any other paste. The chicken becomes very tender on the inside, while the outside is golden and crispy, just the way we like it.
Serve them with ketchup, or any other sauce you like, and you are in for the best homemade treat. And whoever says healthy food is boring, give them something to think about!
Why not make these nuggets for Game Day too? Superbowl is just round the corner, and this is one recipe to feed the crowd. And keep them nice and happy too!
Other breaded chicken recipes
If you’ve liked my CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN NUGGETS or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Baked Chicken Bites
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbp Italian dried herbs
- cooking oil spray for coating the chicken pieces
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (390 Fahrenheit).
- Dice the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks.
- In a larger bowl, mix together flour, paprika, parmesan, herbs and garlic granules.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg well.
- Have a third bowl ready with breadcrumbs.
- Dip the chicken chunks in flour, then egg and then coat them well in the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Spray a baking tray lined with non-stick paper, arrange the chicken bites, spray them too, and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, turning them once half way through baking to ensure they are nice and crispy on both sides.
- Serve them with any sauce of your choice, my favourite is still the good old ketchup.