Greggs Chicken Bake Recipe, a delicious chicken pasty made with golden and flaky puff pastry, and chicken chunks cooked in a creamy white sauce. So easy to make at home with a few simple ingredients.
In the UK Greggs is a well-known name that straight away makes us think of deliciously hot pasties and yummy sandwiches. Affordable, great as a lunch on the go, this is comfort food that we all love to indulge in from time to time.
From chicken bakes, to sausage rolls, steak bakes or even some sweet treats, there is plenty for everyone to try, no matter the age or lifestyle. My older daughter used to be quite a big fan of the chicken bake back in the days when we used to live in the UK.
But how about we make this yummy scrummy chicken bake at home? It's very easy to make, and quick too - it's the actual chilling time that takes the longest, otherwise our job is done pretty quickly.
This is my take on the very popular Gregg's recipe, tweaked to my own liking, but the ingredients used are pretty much the same. Let's see how to make it!
Ingredients needed to make Greggs' Chicken Bake
- chicken breasts - cut into small chunks
- chicken stock/broth - it can be swapped for water, but the broth will add more flavour
- cream cheese -full-fat cheese is best
- double cream - or heavy cream
- cornflour -corn starch
- salt & ground black pepper
- dried mixed herbs - or Italian herbs
- ready-rolled puff pastry - or a puff-pastry block rolled to the required thickness
- vegetable oil - or any other odourless oil
- egg - for brushing the pasties
Step-by-step photos and instructions
For our recipe we will need: chicken breasts, a cup of chicken stock, vegetable oil, cream cheese, double cream, corn flour, seasoning and a touch of dried herbs to taste.
- dice the chicken breasts
- heat up the oil in a pan, add the chicken pieces and fry on each side for 2-3 minutes until cooked through
- pour in the stock/broth, cream cheese and double cream and give it a good stir
- bring to a boil, then combine the corn flour with 2 tablespoons of cold water and mix well, then pour it over the other ingredients
- stir well until the sauce thickens
- season well with salt, pepper and mixed dried herbs
- leave to cool completely
Once the creamy chicken has cooled down completely, we can roll out the puff pastry. It is crucial for the filling to be cold, otherwise the pastry melts as we try to wrap the pasties, and we will end up with one big mess. Also, keep the puff pastry in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- if you use ready-rolled pastry, cut it into 6 rectangles, then scoop out about one tablespoon and a half of the filling, and turn the pastry over to form a rectangle
- seal the edges well with a fork, then brush the pasty with beaten egg, and prick it with a fork for the steam to escape while baking (otherwise they puff up)
- repeat with the remaining pasties
- bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes or until golden
Make sure the cream cheese and double cream are at room temperature, otherwise they will curdle. If they are cold, add them to a bowl, add one tablespoon of the hot stock at a time until it reaches the right temperature.
Other pasty recipes
For a vegetarian variation, why not try my Potato, Cheese and Onion Pasty? It's absolutely delicious!
My Romanian Cheese Pastries are my absolutely favourite treats to have any time of the day!
If you’ve tried my GREGGS CHICKEN BAKE RECIPE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Greggs Chicken Bake Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- 3 tablespoon double cream
- 2 tablespoon cornflour (corn starch)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 egg for brushing the pasties
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the oil in a pan, add the chicken pieces and fry on each side for 2-3 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
- Pour in the chicken stock, cream cheese and double cream (make sure they are at room temperature otherwise they will curdle) and bring to a boil.
- Mix the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of cold water, and add it to the pan.
- Stir well until you get a thick sauce.
- Add the dried herbs, and check if the chicken needs any more seasoning.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Roll out the puff pastry, and cut it into 6 rectangles.
- Scoop out about one tablespoon and a half of the filling onto each rectangle, fold over, then use a fork to seal well the edges.
- Beat the egg well, and brush each pasty with it.
- Use a fork to prick each pasty in a few places - that will allow the steam to escape while baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes or until golden.