Pancetta, Chicken and Mushroom Tagliatelle, a delicious pasta dish for a quick and easy dinner. It's a hearty and filling pasta dish that makes an excellent option for a mid week meal for the whole family.
Chicken and pasta, 2 big favourite all over the world. Bring them together and you create one delicious dinner that everybody will love. No more fussing over what to put on the table, it's so easy.
Now, most of my chicken dishes are either whole chicken parts, or diced chicken breasts. Ground chicken or chicken mince is not too often mentioned on my blog, although I do cook with ground turkey often.
But lean ground chicken breast, apart from being so easy to cook with, it's also a good choice if you are looking for lighter dishes.
I decided to make this pasta dinner extra special by adding mushrooms and pancetta to the sauce, and the combo was pure delish. Absolutely amazing! You get a rich sauce that screams perfection, and toss it over the perfectly cooked tagliatelle. What's not to love about it?
If you don't have ground chicken, you can use diced chicken breasts without any problem, the taste won't be massively different, it's just a matter of different texture.
How to make the pancetta, chicken and mushroom sauce
Start by making the sauce first, since it takes longer to cook. The tagliatelle are ready in about 10-12 minutes or so, you can boil them just before the sauce is ready.
- sautee the onion and garlic, then add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until nicely brown
Mushrooms release quite a big of liquid, so there is no need to add any water to them. Just leave them to cook well, the darker the colour, the better taste.
- add the pancetta, and give it a good stir, and leave to cook for a few minutes until the pancetta is crispy
At this stage there is so much flavour already. As you know, I don't cook with alcohol, but if you don't mind it, you can add a splash of white wine, and leave to cook until it evaporates.
- now, the ground chicken can be added too
Continue to stir until you break the ground chicken into small pieces, and no longer pink.
- add the chopped tomatoes, chicken broth, herbs and spices, and tomato puree, and leave to cook until the sauce is reduced.
- cook the tagliatelle separately, drain, and toss into the sauce
And that's our dinner done!
What else to serve with the sauce?
Usually, chicken and mushrooms go well into a creamy sauce. But mine has no cream, instead, it's a rich tomato-based sauce that goes well with pretty much everything.
Can the sauce be frozen?
Absolutely! Whether you make a bigger batch to save for another day, or have some leftovers, just add them to a freezer-friendly tupperware. The sauce can easily be reheated in the microwave.
The pasta can be frozen too, but I find that the texture changes, so I usually prefer to freeze the sauce only, and make fresh pasta just before dinner.
More pasta dishes
If you’ve tried my PANCETTA, CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM TAGLIATELLE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Pancetta, Chicken and Mushroom Tagliatelle
- 200 g pancetta
- 2 cups closed-cup mushrooms
- 250 g ground chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- ½ cup chicken stock (broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ¼ packet of tagliatelle
- Heat up the oil in a pan, add the butter and allow it to melt.
- Chop the onion and garlic, and add them to the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion has soften, then add the sliced mushrooms, and leave to cook for 4-5 minutes until nicely browned, and all the liquid released.
- Add the pancetta, give it a good stir, and leave to cook until crispy.
- The ground chicken can now be added too, just give it a good stir until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, chicken broth, seasoning, and leave to cook with the lid on until the sauce is reduced.
- Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle according to the packet instructions.
- When ready, drain the water, then add it to the pan with the sauce.
- Garnish with freshly-chopped parsley.
- Click on the US Customary link to see the measurements displayed in cups and ounces.
- The servings can be adjusted by clicking the number next to Servings.