Super Easy Cheesy Baked Tortellini, a delicious midweek meal that is ready in well under 30 minutes. Choose any store-bought tortellini you like, there are many fillings that cater for all tastes, and smother them in a rich creamy sauce, and top with lots of mozzarella and any other cheese of your choice, then bake until bubbling hot. This really is perfection!
I can't think of a better meal on a cold windy rainy horrible day that a big bowl of pasta. Any kind of pasta, no matter how simple or posh the dish is. But how about we make something simple into a spectacular recipe with so little effort and prep.
I absolutely love tortellini! Sure, you can make them at home, but the ready-made ones are just as good. And there are so many fillings to choose from, from vegetarian to meat, or a nice combo. The easiest way of cooking them is to boil them in salted water for 2-3 minutes, then drain and serve with the sauce of your choice.
And that's delicious, no doubt about that, but how about we give it the wow factor by adding lots of cheese to them and bake until the cheese is melted? That surely sounds like heaven to me!
- tortellini - I used chicken and pancetta tortellini, but it can be any kind
- tomato and basil sauce - or any other sauce
- double cream
- mozzarella cheese
- grated cheddar cheese
- fresh basil to garnish
Step-by-step photos and instructions
It is important to boil the tortellini before adding them to the sauce to be baked, otherwise they won't have time to soften in the oven.
- bring a pot of salted water to the boil
- add the tortellini and leave to boil for 3 minutes until tender and they float to the surface, but they still have a nice shape
- drain well, then add the tortellini to an oven-proof dish
- mix the tomato sauce with the double cream and drizzle it over the tortellini and give it a good stir
- top with grated mozzarella and cheddar, and bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden and the cheese is melted
And that's it! Super simple, and great when you are in a rush, but still fancy a nice cooked meal to comfort you like no one else. And bonus point, the kids will absolutely love this dish, I can guarantee you that!
Now, I think this dish is just tasty the way it is. But you can, of course, make any chances you like to it to make it your own. I used canned tomato and basil sauce, but you can go for any other sauce of your choice.
Or, you can add a nice bechamel sauce to it, which is white sauce with grated cheese added to it. Or if you have any leftover bolognese sauce, do add it too.
Cream cheese would also be a nice addition, instead of the double cream. So, you see, there is no wrong or right here, just choose the sauce you like best and go with it.
For added goodness, you can throw in a handful of spinach too, no need to cook it beforehand. Or any other leftover veggies you might have around. It's quick, it's easy, it's delicious, just the way we like it! And I am sure you will like it too, give it a go!
If you’ve tried this CHEESY BAKED TORTELLINI or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Cheesy Baked Tortellini
- 2 packets of tortellini (2x300g, I used chicken and pancetta tortellini)
- 1 ¼ cup tomato and basil sauce
- ¼ cup double cream
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- fresh basil to garnish
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, and add a pinch of salt to it.
- Add the tortellini to the pan and boil for 3 minutes until they are tender and float to the surface.
- Drain the water, and transfer the tortellini to an oven-proof dish.
- Mix the tomato sauce with the double cream and drizzle it over the tortellini, then give everything a good stir.
- Top with grated mozzarella and cheddar, and bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for 15-20 minutes until golden and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley.