Chinese Cabbage Stir Fry, a quick and easy side dish that is packed with amazing flavours. It goes wonderfully well as an accompaniment to any meat or meat alternative, it's healthy, filling, and ready in less than 10 minutes. The dish is vegan and vegetarian friendly, but it can be tweaked to one's liking by adding any meat to it too.
Isn't it amazing how the simplest dishes can tickle your taste buds like nothing else? Take cabbage - one underrated vegetable - it's cheap, full of goodness, and absolutely delicious in so many dishes.
Like a true Romanian, I have long added cabbage to my list of favourite things to eat, with Cabbage Rolls and Stewed Cabbage being 2 of our most iconic dishes. But you can never go wrong with a good old Cabbage Soup either, especially if you are after a healthy light recipe.
And let's not forget the one and only coleslaw recipe that is everyone's favourite side dish no matter the season or occasion. This cabbage stir fry has an Asian touch, but it's as packed with flavours as can be.
Stir frying has to be one of my favourite cooking methods, as the veggies keep their nice crunch and goodness, while being quickly turned into a delicious meal.
- white cabbage - it's one of my favourite types of cabbage as it has a natural sweetness to it, and even a small cabbage packs in a lot! - you can also substitute it for any other cabbage you find
- fresh garlic, spring onions and ginger - the trio that the Chinese cuisine couldn't do without
- soy sauce - I used regular soy sauce, but you can also use light soy sauce or your own homemade Chinese stir fry sauce
- rice vinegar - it complements the sweetness of the cabbage nicely
- vegetable oil - for frying
Step-by-step photos and instructions
- Add the oil to a wok or a deep frying pan
- Heat it up over a high heat
- Add the peeled and chopped garlic, ginger and spring onions and stir fry them for 30 seconds until they release their flavour
- Add the shredded cabbage and stir fry for 2 minutes until they cabbage softens slightly
- Pour over the soy sauce and rice vinegar, and stir fry for a further 30 seconds
- Remove from the heat and serve hot
Stir Frying this dish on a high heat ensures all nutrients are preserved. By all means, if you like the cabbage on the softer side, you can cook it for longer by a splash adding a splash of water to the sauce, and stir frying until the sauce is reduced.
If you like to add meat to it, make sure it's cooked beforehand but in the same pan, as all the flavours and juices released by the meat will make the dish even more delicious.
Chicken, beef, pork, bacon all all good choices here, but if you add leftover meat, just add it once the cabbage is cooked.
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM , YOUTUBE, TIK TOK and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Cabbage Stir Fry
- ¼ small white cabbage
- 2 spring onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cm fresh ginger ( 1 inch)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- Use a sharp knife to shred the cabbage.
- Heat up the oil in a wok set over a high heat.
- Peel and chop the garlic, ginger and spring onions, and add them to the wok.
- Stir fry for 30 seconds until they release their flavour.
- Add the shredded cabbage and stir fry for 2 minutes, then pour in the soy sauce and rice vinegar, and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately.