Traditional Brazilian Chocolate Brigadeiro Recipe, the no-bake bite-size sweets with only 4 ingredients. Call them truffles, fudge balls or just brigadeiros, they are sure to make you fall in love with them. So rich, dense and chocolatey, perfect for every celebration!
What are brigadeiros?
Brigadeiros are a traditional Brazilian dessert made with condensed milk, cocoa powder and butter, then shaped into small balls and covered with sprinkles. You can decorate them with anything you like though, from desiccated coconut, to cocoa powder or grated chocolate.
Unlike the coconut balls, these brigadeiros are cooked, but that doesn't mean they are not easy to make. It just takes a big longer though, plus you need to leave them to cool down before shaping into balls.
What we need:
- condensed milk - use sweetened condensed milk for best results
- butter - salted or unsalted
- cocoa powder - a good quality one makes all the difference
- sprinkles - any kind, or just omit
Add the condensed milk, butter and sifted cocoa powder in a pan set over a low heat. Mix well with a spatula to get a smooth paste, and continue to stir until it thickens, that might take up to 15 minutes or so.
You know the paste is cooked well when this coats the back of the spatula and you can see the bottom of the pan for at least 3-4 seconds when you drag the spatula through it . Remove it from the heat, and leave to cool completely. You can then shape it into balls, then coat with sprinkles or desiccated coconut.
A dessert for every celebration
Yes, they are not quite the healthiest treat, but a treat is a treat, it's not quite meant to be healthy, right? They make an excellent choice for any party.
Or, why not, just enjoy them all by yourself, you do deserve a treat from time to time. I could not have enough of them, exactly what I needed for my sweet tooth.
Valentine's Day might be the day when chocolates or anything chocolate desserts are the norm, but hey, chocolate is amazing every single day. Especially after a long day with demanding kids who leave you completely worn out.
They also make a nice homemade present, just wrap them nicely, and you've got the perfect solution to your search of a fantastic present no matter the occasion. So delicious!
If you’ve liked my CHOCOLATE BRIGADEIROS RECIPE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
- 1 can condensed milk (400 g, 13 oz)
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 20 g butter
- sprinkles to decorate
- Combine the condensed milk, cocoa powder (sifted) and butter and add them to a non-stick pan.
- Set the pan over a low heat and keep stirring with a silicone spatula until it thickens into a smooth cream, this could take between 10 and 15 minutes.
- The mixture is ready when you can see the bottom of the pan for at least 3-4 seconds when you drag the spatula through it.
- Butter a large plate and transfer the cream to cool at room temperature.
- Once it is cool and firm enough to handle, shape out balls, then coat them with desiccated coconut and sprinkles.
- Chill in the fridge for a few hours before you serve.
- Click on the US Customary link to see the measurements displayed in cups and ounces.
- The servings can be adjusted by clicking the number next to Servings.