Oven Baked Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms, a complete dinner recipe to be enjoyed by the whole family. It's made with chicken drumsticks, basmati rice and closed-cup mushrooms, and cooked in chicken stock for a wonderful dish that screams perfection no matter the season.
This is without a shadow of a doubt the meal of all meals, that will get everyone talking about. Perfectly cooked and fluffy rice, moist chicken drumsticks with a hint of paprika, plus some delicious mushrooms, all in one single dish.
Adapting a dish for everyone to enjoy is far easier and practical, no need to kill yourself cooking tons of separate meals. And the combo chicken and rice is a clear favourite with all ages.
Cooking everything together is what makes this dinner stand out: minimal prep and effort, but maximum flavours: that's what home cooking is all about.
Getting the ratio liquid to rice right is crucial, otherwise you can end up with uncooked rice, if too little liquid is added, or mushy and soggy, if too much is added.
Chicken drumsticks and so much more flavour than chicken breast - if you want to bake only drumsticks, I have this delicious recipe: Baked Chicken Drumsticks that can be served with the side of your choice.
- chicken drumsticks - skin on, it adds more flavour, no need to remove it
- closed-cup mushrooms - I just cut them into quarters for easier cooking
- chicken stock - broth, either store-bought or homemade
- basmati rice - well rinsed
- onion - I used regular onion, but red or shallots should work too
- garlic - fresh, garlic granules also ok
- paprika - sweet paprika, hot or smoked paprika also ok depending on your taste buds
- vegetable oil - for searing the chicken and frying the onion
- salt & pepper
- fresh parsley
Step-by-step photos and instructions
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan, season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika and sear on both sides until golden - fry in batches if needed
- Remove the drumsticks from the pan and set aside
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic, add the remaining oil, and fry the onion until golden
- Add the garlic, chopped mushrooms and rinsed rice, and mix everything together
- In an oven dish, add the rice mixture into a nice layer, top with the seared chicken, and pour over the chicken stock
- Cover the dish with a kitchen foil and bake at 220 degrees Celsius (430 Fahrenheit) for 40 minutes, then remove the oil and cook for a further 10 minutes, for the chicken to turn nicely golden
- Garnish with parsley
- Serve immediately!
Chicken drumsticks can be replaced with chicken thighs, or whole chicken leg, but be mindful that you can only fit 2 or 3 in a pan, as compared to 7 drumsticks, so it all depends how much chicken you prefer.
If this dish is for adults only, feel free to add chilli too, or use spicy paprika on the chicken. As long as the rice/water ratio is not changed, then you can safely add anything else you like.
Use the same cup you measure the rice to measure the chicken stock too, in this way you know you can't get wrong with any amount.
Rinsing the rice in cold water before adding it to the dish helps washing away some of the starch, so the rice is separated when cooked, and not mushy.
Searing the chicken beforehand ensures more flavour, and also less fat into the rice, white the fat is good for flavour, too much can make the dish rather greasy.
Other chicken and rice recipes
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole40 Minutes
- Healthy Chinese Chicken Egg Fried Rice Recipe15 Minutes
- Creamy Chicken and Pea Risotto35 Minutes
- Chicken and Chorizo Jambalaya30 Minutes
If you’ve tried my OVEN BAKED CHICKEN AND RICE WITH MUSHROOMS or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 7 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 1 cup closed- cup mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock (broth)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, and sear on both sides until golden - work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic, add the remaining oil to the pan, and fry the onion until golden.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters, and add them to the pan together with the chopped garlic.
- Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear, then add it to the mushrooms - mix everything well.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius (430 Fahrenheit).
- Transfer the rice mixture to an oven-proof dish in one layer, top with the seared chicken drumsticks, and pour over the chicken stock.
- Cover the dish with kitchen foil, and bake for 40 minutes until the rice is fluffy and the chicken is cooked through, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes for chicken to turn nicely golden.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately!
- Chicken drumsticks can be replaced with chicken thighs, or whole chicken leg, but be mindful that you can only fit 2 or 3 in a pan, as compared to 7 drumsticks, so it all depends how much chicken you prefer.
- Use the same cup you measure the rice to measure the chicken stock too, in this way you know you can't get wrong with any amount.
- Rinsing the rice in cold water before adding it to the dish helps washing away some of the starch, so the rice is separated when cooked, and not mushy.
- Searing the chicken beforehand ensures more flavour, and also less fat into the rice, white the fat is good for flavour, too much can make the dish rather greasy.
Leave a Reply