Spiced Sweet Potato Red Lentil Soup with a heart-warming blend of spices, one of the best Autumn soups that makes the transition from the hot summer to the cold days ahead. Light, but filling, this is healthy, nutritious, and super delicious.
You know already what is my approach to home cooking: nothing too complicated, simple ingredients, good flavours, and no sharp spices that overpower the very taste of the food. There has to be a good balance though between all the ingredients.
And that's what l have used here. The right amount of spices like turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, curry powder and cayenne pepper simply transformed this soup from a (still) tasty soup to a WOW soup.
Now, isn't it a fine combination: red lentils, an excellent source of folate, dietary fibre, countless vitamins and minerals, sweet potato, the Autumn's darling, and carrot, the humble root veggie we all like to munch on.
But, whether you cook with red, brown, or green lentils, they all make a great choice every time you are after healthy food. What l like about the split red lentils is that they cook really fast, no soaking needed whatsover.
How to make spiced red lentil sweet potato soup
But do you now what's so great about this soup? It's so creamy without having a single drop of cream added. By all means, you can add some cream if you like, or soy cream, in case you want to keep it as a vegan soup.
But it really doesn't need any. As for the texture, feel free to add more or less vegetable stock, depending how thick you want it. Feel free to increase the amount of spices too, if you like food rather spiced up.
- in a pan, heat up the oil and sautee the onion
- add the cubed sweet potatoes and carrots, and lentils
- pour over the veggie broth and cook for about 20 minutes until the veggies are tender and the lentils are cooked
- season well and add the spices, then transfer to a blender and blend to the desired consistency
And that's it really, nothing fancy, but I can tell you, this is such a heart-warming soup.
Other creamed soups
If you’ve liked my SPICED SWEET POTATO RED LENTIL SOUP or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Spiced Sweet Potato Red Lentil Soup
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock (broth)
- 1 small onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly-chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel and cut the onion.
- Heat up the oil and sautee the onion for about 5 minutes until transluscent.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the sweet potatoes and carrot into cubes.
- Rinse the lentils with cold water until the wayer runs clear, and add them to the onion together with the carrot, sweet potatoes and vegetable stock.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season well with salt and pepper and add all the spices too.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender.
- Blend to the desired consistency.
- Serve hot with freshly-chopped coriander leaves.