Healthy Chicken Fajitas, a lovely light and super quick midweek dinner that is ready in under 15 minutes. Grilled chicken pieces, lightly fried onions and peppers in a delicious tortilla wrap, and served with sour cream - what a treat, full of Mexican flavours!
I cook chicken breast very often - and my post Quick and Easy Chicken Breast Recipes for Dinner is a testament for that- it's inexpensive, light, has a great taste and can be ready very quickly, thus cutting the time spent in the kitchen. Not that l dislike it, but time is ever so precious and, if l can do lots of things in one day, why not.
Although l prefer the red peppers out of all the other varieties because of their sweet taste, the green and yellow ones added to the red peppers make this dish pretty and colourful. What gives the distinctive Mexican flavour is the smoky spicy sauce, which is enhanced by the sweetness of the caramelised onions.
I should make this dish more often. You do not have to add any sour cream if you do not like it, but l find that its fresh taste balances very well the flavours. And the tortilla wrap can be either microwaved for a few seconds to warm it up, or grilled.
I prefer grilling as the wraps get a nice crunchy texture that makes the fajitas even more delicious than they are. Such a treat!
- chicken breasts
- large onion - either yellow or red, or shallots
- red pepper
- green pepper
- yellow pepper
- olive oil
- smoked paprika
- smoked bbq sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream - or mayonnaise to serve
- parsley - to decorate
- tomato paste
- tortilla wraps
How much spice goes into the fajitas is entirely up to you, even some nice chilli peppers can be thrown into the pan.
- start cutting the chicken breasts into chunks, add them to a bag together with the spices and bbq sauce
- shake the bag well to coat the chicken pieces evenly, then grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side until tender
- remove from the pan and set aside
- fry the onions until translucent, then add the peppers and cook until tender
- add the chicken back to the pan, garnish with parsley or coriander
- spread sour cream over a tortilla wrap, add the chicken and peppers, and roll
If you are keen on cutting down the amount of carbs, you can enjoy this fajitas without the tortilla wraps. You got chicken and veggies, and that is a filling enough meal that is nutritious and delicious.
Or use wholemeal wraps instead of the plain flour ones, and that should up the fibre intake and make it a healthier, better option.
Swap chicken for beef or pork if you like, it will still be a winner, it might just add extra time to your cooking, as chicken usually cooks a lot faster.
If you’ve tried my HEALTHY CHICKEN FAJITAS RECIPE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Healthy Chicken Fajitas
- 250 g chicken breasts
- 1 large onion
- ½ red pepper
- ½ green pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked bbq sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoon sour cream / mayonnaise to serve
- parsley to decorate
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tortilla wraps
- To cook the chicken, heat up a grill pan, cut the chicken breasts into cubes and place them in a bag.
- Add one tablespoon of oil, paprika, bbq sauce, pepper and salt, seal the bag and shake well.
- Grill on both sides until cooked through, approximately 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the onion and peppers into strips, add the remaining oil to a pan, and fry the onion with a pinch of salt until tender.
- Add the peppers and stir, leaving them to cook for about 5 minutes until slightly tender.
- Season well with salt and pepper, add the tomato paste and chicken, then stir. Garnish with parsley and remove from the heat.
- Warm up the tortilla wrap, spread the sour cream or mayonnaise over, then add chicken mixture to it.
- Wrap well, and serve immediately.
- To see the measurements in cups and ounces, please click on the US CUSTOMARY link.
- The amount of ingredients listed can be adjusted depending on the number of servings you need, just click on the number next to SERVINGS.
- If you are keen on cutting down the amount of carbs, you can enjoy this fajitas without the tortilla wraps. You got chicken and veggies, and that is a filling enough meal that is nutritious and delicious.
- Or use wholemeal wraps instead of the plain flour ones, and that should up the fibre intake and make it a healthier, better option.
- Swap chicken for beef or pork if you like, it will still be a winner, it might just add extra time to your cooking, as chicken usually cooks a lot faster.