Honey Yogurt Cornbread, moist, made with a few simple ingredients, and so easy to whip up. One of the best Fall recipes to celebrate harvest, and one of the most awaited holidays of the year: Thanksgiving. This simple sweet cornbread will be a big hit with all ages; it's sweet, but not overly so, and has a lovely light texture.
Whether you go for the sweet or savoury version, cornbread is without a shadow of a doubt one of the most popular Fall recipes. And rightly so, what's not to like about this golden gorgeousness that makes your mouth water?
I have tried cornbread before, my Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins are to die for, so delicious!
Now, this sweet cornbread is more like a deliciously moist sponge, but with a fantastic delicate flavour that requires nothing else in order to savour a delicious dessert. No cream or anything else to be added, it's divinely scrumptious as it is.
And you won't believe me when I say, but the pre is minimal, and you can have it in the oven in about 5 minutes. Then into the oven to raise and become golden and yummy - set it at a lower temperature to ensure a lovely baking, and that's your job done.
- cornmeal - polenta flour
- self-raising flour - it makes the sponge light and soft
- baking powder
- pinch of salt
- eggs - at room temperature
- sugar - either caster or granulated
- vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- Greek yogurt
- icing sugar -for dusting
Step-by-step photos and instructions
As promised, nothing simpler, the recipe is so easy, I can guarantee you anyone can bake this sweet cornbread. Just ensure the ingredients used are at room temperature before you start baking, and you are good to go.
- in a bowl, add the sugar and eggs, and use an electric mixer to mix everything well until the mixture is a pale yellow and has its volume tripled
- separately, sift the flour and cornbread, and add the baking powder and a pinch of salt
- mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients using a spatula
- add the oil, yogurt, honey and vanilla extract, and use the mixer again to mix to a smooth consistency
Note! I chose Greek yogurt for its creaminess and richness, but you can use plain regular yogurt too.
- line a square baking tray with non-stick paper (mine is 23x23cm, 9x9 inches), and pour the batter over
- bake in the preheated oven at 160 degrees Celsius (320 Fahrenheit) for 40 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- leave to cool completely before dusting it with icing sugar and slicing it
A lower temperature ensures an even baking and a gorgeous golden top. Too high the heat, and the top with brown too quickly, while the middle of the cake is not baked properly.
There is no debate here, this recipe is pure perfection! I have baked it before, and it went down a treat with little and big ones - and that usually says how good a recipe is!
But, whether you don't have the exact same ingredients, or you want to tweak it a little bit, we can always swap ingredients to make it as delicious or even more so.
Greek yogurt is a genius idea here, but you can always just use milk or buttermilk instead - the consistency shouldn't change much.
Oli makes the texture light and fluffy, while still keeping the moisture, but it you are after a richer, buttery taste, melted butter can be used instead - again, same amount.
Vanilla extract can be swapped for orange, rum or almond extract, or any other flavour of your choice - if you use a good extract, you will be able to get that nice kick straight away. And that's all, easy, delicious, what a treat!
If you’ve liked my HONEY YOGURT CORNMEAL or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Honey Yogurt Cornbread
- 175 g cornmeal
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 175 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 450 g Greek yogurt
- icing sugar for dusting
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs, add the sugar and use an electric mixer to mix everything well until you get a pale yellow colour and the mixture has tripled its volume.
- Separately, sift the flour, cornmeal and add a pinch of salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients using a spatula.
- Add the oil, yogurt, vanilla extract and honey, and use the electric mixer again to get a smooth batter.
- Line a square baking tray (23x23cm, 9x9 inches) with non-stick paper and pour the batter in.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 160 degrees Celsius (320 Fahrenheit) for 40 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar and slicing.
- Click on the US Customary link to see the measurements displayed in cups and ounces.
- The servings can be adjusted by clicking the number next to Servings.