Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, the very best homemade cookies made form scratch for every occasion. They are made with dark brown sugar for a deep, dark colour and a gooey texture. Rich, buttery, utterly delicious, these choc chips are the very best you can get! And worth every single calorie!
We all need a little treat to keep us going on these crazy days. I have always been an outdoor kind of person, so staying inside now it’s no easy. But, if we must, we must, and we have to do our best to keep safe. And sane!
Baking is therapeutic, and can help distress. Not to mention you’ll end up with lots of yummy cookies to last you for a few days. Or hours, depending how sweet your tooth is. And, if you are looking for more chop chips treats, these Homemade Chocolate Chip Muffins or Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes are delish!
There are so many recipes out there for chocolate chip cookies, but once you taste these cookies, you will know why they are the best. I personally love softer cookies, so for me, these are perfection. You can use light brown sugar if you wish to get a lighter colour for you cookies, but I love the chewy and toffee-like taste and texture you achieve with the dark brown one.
The amounts listed below should be enough for about 20 cookies, but it all depends how big your scoop of dough is, so you might get more or less. That will affect the baking time, so do keep an eye on the cookies!
HOW TO MAKE SOFT AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Before you start, make sure the eggs are at room temperature, this always help when baking. It’s usually one of the golden rules which should not be broken if you are after great results every single time.
MAKING THE COOKIE DOUGH
- start by melting the butter – I prefer placing it in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. In this way, the butter melts gradually, and the temperature is not too high. It also cools down a lot quicker, which cuts down on the prep time.
- add the melted butter to a large bowl together with the white granulated sugar and the dark brown sugar, and use a hand mixer to mix everything until smooth
- add the egg and egg yolk, and mix again
- in go the sifted flour, bicarbonate of soda and vanilla extract and mix again
- add the chocolate chips, and use a spatula to mix everything together
BAKING THE COOKIES
- leave the mixture to rest for 5-10 minutes so that the dough can thicken, at this stage it is pretty soft
- line a baking tray with non-stick paper, and use an ice cream scoop or spoon to scoop dough onto the tray, making sure you leave plenty of space between each cookies, as they spread quite a lot (see photo no 6)
- bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for about 10-11 minutes, or until the edges are slightly darker, and just slightly puffed up – they will deflate once they cool down
- leave to cool down on a flat surface, so they can firm up properly, otherwise they will bend slightly if transferred straight to the cooking rack.
Tips and tricks for getting the best cookies
Make sure you measure the ingredients well, otherwise the texture won’t be the one you are after. If the cookies do not spread much, it must be because there was too much flour. If they spread too much, there must have been too much butter.
Always preheat the oven before baking, I usually have mine on at least for 10 minutes before I get the cookies in. Also, you should ideally have all the cookies of the same size, otherwise the smaller ones will be ready a lot sooner and have burn edges by the times the larger ones are ready. But, other than that, just enjoy these fantastic cookies, they are worth every single calorie!
If you’ve tried my SOFT AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, the very best homemade cookies made form scratch for every occasion. They are made with dark brown sugar for a deep dark colour and a gooey texture. Rich, buttery, utterly delicious, these choc chips are the very best you can get! They are quick and easy to make, and baked to perfection. The kids and grown-ups will all love these fantastic cookies, so grab some before they are gone.
- 275 g plain flour
- 175 g salted butter
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 125 g dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
Cut the butter into cubes, and add to a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
Leave to melt, then remove from the heat and allow it to cool down.
Add the cooled butter to a large bowl, and add the white and brown sugar.
Use a hand mixer to mix everything together until you get a smooth paste.
Add the egg and egg yolk, and mix again.
In go the sifted flour, bicab of soda, vanilla extract, and mix again.
Throw the chocolate chips in, then use a spatula to mix the ingredients together.
Leave the mixture to rest for 5-10 minutes so that the dough can thicken a bit, it's pretty soft at this stage.
Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit), and use an ice cream scoop or a spoon to scoop out small balls that are far enough from each other on the tray, I only had 6 on mine at a time.
Bake for about 10-11 minutes, or until the edges are slightly darker, and the cookies are still a bit puffed up.
Leave to cool on a hard surface.
Repeat with the remaining cookie dough, I baked mine in 3 batches.
- If you'd like to see the ingredients listed in cups and ounces, please check the US Customary Link.
- Also, the amount of ingredients changes depending on the servings, so click on the number listed to change it to the number you prefer.