Chocolate Cake with Nutella Filling, chocolate glaze and whipped cream, the ultimate chocolaty dessert for every occasion. Rich, indulgent, heavenly delicious, this dessert is so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
This is the famous Romanian "Amandina", which has the plural form "Amandine", and it's so loved over there, many of use identifying it with the dessert of our childhood. It is the kind of dessert that takes you back in time whenever you have a bite, and so delicious, you can't stop eating it. Truly scrumptious!
While the original recipe for amandine might not contain nutella, l think it adds to the deliciousness, so the more, the better. As you might have noticed lately, I love chocolate too. Too much!!!
Just a few days ago I had these amazing strawberries with chocolate sauce, l have the perfect recipe: How to make the best chocolate dipping sauce in 5 minutes. Worth giving it a try, l think it's better than any store-bought chocolate sauce, and it's ready in 5 minutes or under.
The recipe is the easiest possible, so don't be overwhelmed by the rather long list of ingredients. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare the sponge, then it goes in the oven for 20 minutes. Plus, while the sponge is in the oven, you can get the glaze, syrup and filing ready, and have them cooling down. Simple, isn't it?
How to make the chocolate sponge
The sponge is super easy to make, and it has no butter or oil added to it. Which means that it will need to be soaked with syrup before adding the filling, otherwise it's dry.
- in a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until they triple their volume and get a pale yellow colour
- sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder
- add the vanilla extract and mix everything together to get a batter
- grease and flour a rectangle baking tray (mine is 26x36cm, or 10x14 inches)
- bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes until firm to touch and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
- leave to cool completely, then slice it in half horizontally for the filling to be added to it
How to make nutella filling
This nutella filling is absolutely divine, and so simple to make. It works amazingly well as a filling for cakes, or even as a buttercream/frosting for cupcakes.
- sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder, add the soften butter, milk, vanilla extract and nutella, and mix well until you get a smooth cream - alternatively add everything to a food processor and blitz until smooth (see pictures 2 and 3 below)
The cream can be tweaked to your own liking, you can add more butter and less nutella, or add some mascarpone to it too, just go with what works for you.
How to make chocolate glaze
I used this glaze for my Chocolate Eclairs Recipe and it works so well. It's so easy to make, and easy to spread on any dessert. The sponge will soak it, and gives us a wonderfully aromatic cake.
- sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder, add the boiling water and oil and mix well to get a smooth paste
- leave to cool completely before using it
How to assemble the cake
With the sponge, filling and glaze done, all we need to do now is make the syrup and whip the cream. For the syrup, add the water, coffee and sugar to a pan, bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar, then leave to cool completely. Whip the cream, and chill until it's ready to use.
Use a spoon to spread half of the syrup all over the bottom half of the cake, spread half of the nutella filling, top with the second half of the sponge, syrup it again, spread the glaze, and pipe the cream over the cake.
Slice it in squares, then leave to chill for the flavours to be fully soaked up. Then enjoy, you have baked a fantastic cake! Don't be intimidated by the amount of ingredients used, this is a lot easier to make that it looks!
If you’ve tried my CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH NUTELLA FILLING or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Chocolate Cake with Nutella Filling
For the sponge
- 6 eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoon icing sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 400 g nutella
For the syrup
- 400 ml water
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee
For the glaze
- 200 g icing sugar
- 6 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoon boiling water
- 300 ml whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius /350 Fahrenheit.
- To make the sponge, crack the eggs and add them to a bowl.
- Add the sugar and beat them until fluffy and the colour becomes a pale yellow.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking powder and add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture one tablespoon at a time, mixing well with the spatula.
- Once the dry ingredients are fully incorporated, add the vanilla extract, mix again lightly.
- Butter and flour a square baking tray of 26/36 cm/10x14 and pour the mixture in.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until risen and firm to touch.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- To make the filling, make sure that you remove the butter from the fridge at least one hour before, so that it can be really soft.
- Place the butter in a large bowl and add the sugar, cocoa powder, nutella and vanilla extract.
- Use an electric mixer to beat everything well until smooth and creamy.
- To make the syrup, place the water and sugar into a saucepan and bring it to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add the coffee and the vanilla extract, remove from the boil and allow it to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder, add the oil and boiling water, and mix until smooth. Leave to cool completely.
- Next, cut the sponge into 2 parts horizontally, and place one part onto the baking tray.
- Use a brush to brush the cake with the syrup, we want it quite moist, but not too soggy.
- Next, spread the chocolate filling over the entire cake, place the second part of the sponge on top of the cream and brush it again with the syrup.
- Top the cake with the chocolate glaze, the refrigerate for at least 4 hours, ideally overnight.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cake into squares, then decorate with whipped cream. Serve chilled.
- To see the measurements in cups and ounces, please click on the US CUSTOMARY link.
- The amount of ingredients listed can be adjusted depending on the number of servings you need, just click on the number next to SERVINGS.