Cheesy Ham and Pea Pasta Bake, a delicious dinner recipe that can be enjoyed no matter the season. Creamy, rich, ridiculously easy to make, this pasta bake can be made with any leftover gammon or ham, or with deli ham. A big hit with kids and grown-ups alike, my ham and pea pasta will make its way on the table again and again.
It might be July, but judging by the cold rainy days, it surely feels more like winter. And what do we love eating in winter? That's right, delicious comfort food that spoils our taste buds and makes us all happy. And full too!
And when I feel like indulging (read pigging out), pasta is the only way to go. If you believe that pasta is life, let me tell you that my kids will wholeheartedly agree with you. And we are making excellent progress here, they seem to accept pasta in different shapes and colours too.
So far they would only accept the good old pasta in tomato sauce. To say that I am delighted that they are trying different pasta sauces, it would be an understatement. I love it! I can finally be as creative as I like when it comes to a delicious bowl of pasta.
And this creamy and cheesy white sauce is the best homemade pasta sauce you can come up with. It's so simple to make, yet so sinfully rich and filling.
Throw in some leftover cooked ham or gammon - and I have my own recipe for that Easy Honey Mustard Gammon Recipe , and a handful of peas, and you have just made someone's day. Or everybody's day more like it.
- penne pasta - or any other pasta shape
- plain flour
- milk - full-fat milk is the best, but semi-skimmed also ok
- grated white cheddar cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- cooked ham
- cooked peas
No cooked ham? If we are talking about big celebrations like Thanksgiving and Christmas, there will be plenty of leftover ham or gammon. Otherwise the good old deli ham should do. Or, why not, replace it with any other cooked or leftover meat you have around: chicken, beef, lam, you name it.
Peas can be replaced with cooked broccoli, green beans, or any other green veggie of your choice, as long as you are happy, that's all that matters.
Step-by-step photos and instructions
- start by cooking the pasta according to the packet instructions - any kind of pasta would do, no need to go for a specific kind
- while the pasta is cooking make the white sauce: melt the butter, add the flour and mix well to get a smooth paste. Pour over the milk, and whisk on a low to medium heat until you get a thicker sauce. Add the cheeses and seasoning, and that's all.
- when the pasta is ready, drain the water, and add the pasta to the white sauce
- add the cubed cooked ham, cooked peas, and mix well
- arrange the ham and pea pasta in a baking dish, and top with extra grated cheese
- bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for about 20 minutes, or until golden
Nothing stops us from enjoy the ham and pea pasta without baking it. But then why refuse the extra cheese goodness? Especially if you like melted bubbling hot cheese that tastes like heaven. So, I highly recommend the baking part, that extra 20 minute wait will be well worth it.
Other pasta bake dishes
If you like pasta, you will definitely love a delicious pasta bake. It's a pasta dish taken to the very next level, so yea, amazing stuff! I am no stranger to pasta bake dishes, and my favourite ones are Mary Berry's Creamy Chicken Pasta Bake , Tuna Pasta Bake and Creamy Sausage Pasta Bake. And now I can add this one!
If you’ve tried my CHEESY HAM AND PEA PASTA BAKE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Cheesy Ham and Pea Pasta Bake
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups greated white cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked ham
- 1 cup cooked peas
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- White the pasta is cooking, make the white sauce.
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the flour and whish well.
- Pour in the milk, and whisk well on a low to medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add half of the grated cheese, parmesan and ground pepper.
- When the pasta is ready, drain the water and add the pasta to the sauce.
- Add the cooked peas and ham, and mix well.
- Transfer everything to an oven-proof dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for about 20 minutes or until golden.