Cheddar cheese bites, a delightful savoury snack that is so easy to make from scratch. Flaky, cheesy,deliciously golden, these bites are just amazing. Perfect for every party or celebration, a big hit with kids and grown-ups alike.
Are you the savoury kind of person or would rather have something sugary? When it comes to snacks, l think it pretty much depends on my mood. Sometimes l just can’t have enough of sweets, other times l go crazy on the savoury stuff.
Cheddar cheese has always been my weakness, so it goes without saying that anything with it in, and l’m a happy bunny. A very happy one! Or any other hard cheese would so here, whatever you have in the fridge, as long as the consistency does not change much.
Fancy a cheddar cheese snack? Not a problem, oven on, and problem sorted. It’s that easy! Just leave them to cool long enough, if you can, and you’ll just love them. Warm are not too bad, but you will get to appreciate the full flavour once the bites cool down and crisp up a bit.
How TO make cheddar cheese bites
The bites are similar in textures with my Homemade Cheese Crackers (Baby and Toddler Friendly). They have the same flakiness, and gorgeous savoury kick.
- start by rubbing the butter with flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
Make sure the butter is cold straight from the fridge, it helps achieve the texture we need. If the butter is soft, the flour does not crumble when rubbed in, but it becomes hard to work with.
- add the feta cheese, and half of the parmesan cheese, and knead gently into a dough
- cover the ball with clinfilm, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- use a rolling pin to roll the dough into about half a centimetre thickness, then cut rounds using either a cookie cutter or a glass
- beat the egg lightly, brush each round with egg, then sprinkle over the paprika and remaining parmesan cheese
- bake for about 20 minutes until golden
And that’s pretty much it, a lot easier and tastier than just using store-bought puff pastry. And your snack is now ready!
If you’ve liked my CHEDDAR CHEESE BITES or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Cheddar cheese bites, a delightful savoury snack that is so easy to make from scratch. Flaky, cheesy, gorgeously golden, these bites are just amazing.
- 125 g feta cheese
- 125 g plain flour
- 80 g butter
- 1 egg
- 125 g Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- a pinch of salt
In a large bowl, mix the flour with the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the feta cheese and half of the amount of the grated cheddar cheese and mix to form a dough.
Shape it into a ball, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. (360 Fahrenheit).
Place the dough on the working surface, roll it so that it has a thickness of about 0,5 cm, then cut rounds using either a cookie cutter or a smaller glass.
Beat the egg lightly with the pinch of salt, add the paprika and brush each round with the mixture.
Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the bites are puffy and golden.
Leave to cool completely.
- If you'd like to see the measurements in CUPS and OUNCES, please click on the US CUSTOMARY link.
- The amount of ingredients can be adjusted according to the number of servings you need, please click on the number of servings to change it.