Homemade Cheese Crackers with ricotta and cheddar cheese, a delicious savoury snack with only 4 ingredients that will be a big hit at any party. A baby and toddler friendly recipe, these crackers are healthy, with no sugar or salt added, and great for any time of the year.
It might sound like a cliché, but when you are stretched from pillar to post, you get to appreciate when one thing is ticked off your to-do list. Everybody loves chocolaty desserts, but, if you are a savoury kind of person, then a good snack in a must.
Just to have something to nibble on while the dinner is getting ready, or even while you enjoy a drink. And these cheese crackers are just what we need.
Way better than any store-bought cheesy straws or whatever, they are absolutely delicious, and baby and toddler-friendly too. Not a trace of margarine or any such nastiness added. Together with my Cheese Twists Recipe (From Scratch), these snacks are the ultimate finger food for every occasion.
Given their star shape, the crackers can be added to our list of Christmas baked goodies - the healthy kind of treats.
- plain flour -all purpose flour
- butter - either salted or unsalted
- Cheddar cheese - mild or mature
Step-by-step photos and instructions
These bites must be the easiest to whip up. All you need is equal amounts of only 4 ingredients: butter, cheddar cheese, ricotta and flour. And, bonus point, you can make them with the kids, they will love getting their hands messy.
- in a bowl, add the flour, grated cheddar, cubed butter and ricotta, and knead well into a dough.
Do make sure the butter is fully incorporated, otherwise the crackers won't bake evenly.
- chill in the fridge for at least one hour
This step is super important, otherwise the crackers will flatten out while baking and won't hold a nice shape.
- keep an eye on them, they should be ready in 10 minutes depending on the size of the cookie cutter used
Use any cookie cutter shape you have, but make sure they have pretty much the same size, otherwise they baking time will be different. The star cookie cutter I have is rather small, so the crackers were ready in about 10 minutes, but if you use a bigger cutter, you might need to leave them for 2-3 minutes longer.
Do I need a food processor to make them?
You don't even need a food processor for this, everything can be done by hand super quickly. All you need is equal amounts of each ingredient, and job done. Kneading the dough won't take long, but do make sure the ingredients are well combined to ensure even baking.
Are these crackers baby and toddler-friendly?
Absolutely! There is no refined sugar added, no added salt, no processed ingredients. If you make them for babies, make sure the butter is unsalted, otherwise butter salted can be used.
These crackers are way better than any store-bough baby crackers and biscuits which have lots of hidden ingredients added.
If you’ve tried my HOMEMADE CHEESE CRACKERS or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Homemade Cheese Crackers
- 100 g plain flour (all purpose)
- 100 g ricotta
- 100 g butter
- 100 g Cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, add the flour, ricotta, grated cheddar and the butter cut into cubes.
- Use your hands to mix everything well and knead into a dough, making sure the butter is fully incorporated.
- Wrap the dough up with clingfilm, then refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 Fahrenheit).
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin sprinkling flour to avoid the dough from sticking, then use a cookie cutter to cup up shapes. You will need to line 2 baking trays with perchament paper.
- Bake one tray at a time for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm or cold.
- If you'd like to see the ingredients listed in cups and ounces, please check the US Customary Link.
- Also, the amount of ingredients changes depending on the servings, so click on the number listed to change it to the number you prefer.