Beef Hot Pot with Cheesy Gnocchi, hearty, comforting, warming, the perfect family dinner dish no matter the season. Nothing beats a good homemade casserole, and making it it’s a lot easier than you think.
This might not be the quickest dish to make that you will find on my blog, most of my recipes are pretty quick, with some that can be made in well under 30 minutes. Although this dish is one of the exceptions, it’s still dead easy to make, even for a beginner.
And the favours are out of this world. Simply one of the best dish I have had in a while. I might not be cooking beef too often, mainly because I want it super tender to melt in the mouth, and that takes time, but I surely will be making this soon.
TIPS TO GET THE BEEF SUPER TENDER
The beef needs to be slowly cooked, that’s the secret about it being super douper tender. If you have a slow cooker, job done, super easy to achieve that, but on the stove top, it does take some patience. And checking on it from time to time.
I got this one cooked in about one hour and a half, but, depending on the heat, it might take longer. And it did turn out just the way I wanted it to be: flavourful, tender, incredibly tasty. That’s one hell of a dish, if I say so myself.
First of all, don’t rush it! I know, time is short, but trust me, this beef hot pot is worth waiting for. Set it on a low to medium temperature, and keep adding beef stock/broth now and then if needed.
Once it’s cooked and tender, if there is still too much liquid left, not to worry, just let it evaporate, cooking for longer it’s never a problem. You might want to add veggies later on, and now from the beginning, if you like them to keep their shape, otherwise, they will get mushy. I actually don’t mind them mushy, to be honest, but hey ho.
How to make beef hot pot topped with cheesy gnocchi
Don’t get scared with all these photos above, it’s actually super simple. And apart from checking on it now and then, you can totally get on with something else while it’s cooking.
- heat up the oil, then add the diced beef and onion wedges, and leave to cook for about 5 minutes until the beef is no longer pink
- add the carrots and garlic together with 3 cups of beef stock (broth) and leave to cook with a lid on until the lid on until the liquid is evaporated
- add the tomatoes and more broth as needed until the beef is tender – I used about 6 cups of beef broth
- season with salt and pepper, and add the herbs too – you should not have too much liquid left at this point, maybe about one cup or so
- remove from the heat, transfer to an oven-safe dish and set aside
- bring a pan of water to boil, then add the gnocchi and leave to cook until the gnocchi float, that should take about 5 minutes
- drain the water, and top the beef casserole with the gnocchi, then spread grated cheese all over
- bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted
- ganish with chopped parsley
OTHER BEEF CASSEROLES
Liked my Beef Hot Pot? How about my Beef Stew With Sweet Potatoes and Hearty Oven Beef Stew Recipe [GF] are one of those favourite recipes without a shadow of a doubt. And now, then third one has jsut been created (and almost wolfed down already).
If you’ve tried my BEEF HOT POT WITH CHEESY GNOCCHI or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Beef Hot Pot with Cheesy Gnocchi, hearty, comforting, warming, the perfect family dinner dish no matter the season. Nothing beats a good homemade casserole, and making it it's a lot easier than you think.
- 400 g diced beef
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 carrots
- 1 can peeled cherry tomatoes (400 g)
- 1 bag pre-cooked gnocchi (500 g)
- 1/2 grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 cups beef stock (broth)
Heat of the oil in a pan, add the beef and onions and leave to cook for about 5 minutes until the beef is no longer pink.
Add the chopped garlic and carrots (cut into chunky sticks), and 3 cups of beef stock and leave to cook with the lid on on a low to medium heat until the stock is nearly evaporated.
Add the peeled cherry tomatoes, then add more beef stock as needed until the beef is tender, mine took about one and a half hour to cook, and I used about 6 cups of broth.
Season well with salt, pepper, thyme and half of the parsley, then remove from the heat, transfer to an oven-proof dish and set aside.
The casserole should not have too much liquid left, maybe only about half a cup or so.
Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the gnocchi, and leave to cook for about 5 minutes.
Drain the water, and add the gnocchi over the beef casserole, then sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Bake in the pre-heated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted. Garnish with more chopped parsley.
- To see the measurements in cups and ounces, please click on the US CUSTOMARY link.
- The amount of ingredients listed can be adjusted depending on the number of servings you need, just click on the number next to SERVINGS.