Creamy Roasted Asparagus Soup, a delicious Spring recipe that goes down well with the whole family. It's light, but filling, and ready in well under 30 minutes, making it ideal for a quick midweek dinner.
With Easter behind us, it is time we went back to lighter, healthier dishes that celebrate Spring and its green goodness. Asparagus is one of my favourite Spring veggies. And roasting is my preferred way to cook it.
This cream of asparagus soup ticks all the boxes when it comes to a nice meal that is comforting, yet healthy. Its lovely green colour makes us think of bright, sunny days. Even if outside it feels more like proper winter still.
The cream does add a lot of creaminess and flour, but using potatoes really does the trick to make it extra creamy and filling. And if you want to enjoy it as a vegan recipe rather than vegetarian, omitting the cream doesn't take away its creaminess, since the potato does a good enough job here.
You can add any other veggies for extra goodness, and flavour too. But other than that, this asparagus soup is such a treat! Let's see how to make it.
- asparagus -fresh
- olive oil
- salt & black pepper
- double cream -heavy cream
- vegetable stock/broth
This soup is so easy to make, it's hard to not get it right. In fact, when it comes to soups, there is no right or wrong. Add more or less stock/broth according to the thickness you are after. I like my soups lighter, but you can make them the way you like.
Asparagus really is yummy, but you can swap them for other greens. Broccoli would be a great substitution, and you can just boil it at the same time with the potatoes. Oher greens that can be added are spinach, leeks, kale or cavolo nero.
Step-by-step photos and instructions
You can boil the asparagus at the same time with the potatoes, but I find that roasting brings so much more flavour, I highly recommend it.
- arrange the asparagus on a roasting tray
- drizzle a bit of olive oil over, and sprinkle some salt over
- bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahreneheit) for 15 minutes until tender
- heat up the olive oil, add the chopped onion and fry until translucent
- add the chopped potatoes, and stock, and leave to boil for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through
- add the chopped roasted asparagus and cream (make sure it's at room temperature), and check for seasoning
- blend until smooth
- garnish with chopped roasted asparagus and cream
Other creamed soup recipes
If you’ve liked my CREAM OF ROASTED ASPARAGUS SOUP or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Roasted Asparagus Soup
- 2 bunches asparagus (250 g)
- 1 potato
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup double cream (heavy cream)
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock/broth
- Arrange the asparagus on a roasting tray, drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over, and sprinkle a bit of salt.
- Roast in the preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for 15 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion and potato.
- Heat up the remaining oil, add the chopped onion and fry until translucent.
- Add the chopped potato and stock, and boil until the potato is tender.
- Chop the roasted asparagus (reserve some for garnishing), and add it to the pan together with half of the amount of cream.
- Season to taste, then blitz until smooth.
- Garnish with more cream and chopped asparagus.