Chicken Soup with Garlic and Sour Cream, or the Romanian 'ciorba radauteana', a fantastic soup that makes a great natural cold and flu remedy. Soothing and delicious, this easy healthy soup will become a family favourite.
I could never refuse a bowl of soup, cold season or not. It can be your best friend and nurse you like no one else when you feel poorly or just looking for some comfort. And chicken soup must be one of the most appreciated soups around the world.
This recipe is considered one of the finest and most loved soups in Romania. Although you can tell it has some garlic in it, the taste is not strong at all. And the lemon and sour cream give the soup a lovely fresh touch. Even children love this soup, it's that yummy.
How to add sour cream to soup without curdling
Now, this soup is so easy to make. But, to get the results you are after, you have to follow a few simple steps. No shortcuts though, otherwise the soup won't have the consistency you need.
It might still taste ok, but there is the danger that the soup will curdle big time. Don't ask me how I know it 😀 These tips apply to this soup mainly, but they are also good for any other soup recipes that use sour cream.
The sour cream must be at room temperature before you add it to the soup. If refrigerated, take it out of the fridge at least an hour before you cook. Add the sour cream and egg to a bowl, mix well, then add a ladleful of soup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4-5 ladles of soup should do, we just need the sour cream to get the same temperature as the soup. Now, this can be added back to the pan. Mix well, and bring it to another boil. That's it, the soup should be creamy, and should not curdle at all. Even if it does curdle a bit, it is still delicious, don't think you have to throw it.
The best chicken soup, Romanian style
It is common to use chicken breast for this recipe, but you can use chicken thighs or drumsticks too. Or a whole chicken, if you are cooking for a large number of people. Root vegetables are quite the perfect match for chicken, and the amount of water used depends entirely on how thick you want the soup.
I can assure you that you'll make the soup over and over again, it is an excellent choice for the whole family. When I was at home, mum was and still is making soups every day as a first meal, then this is followed by the main course which can either be meat with vegetables and rice, pasta or potatoes.
But there is no day without soup, that is for sure. Another soup that everybody loves is the fantastic Slow Cooker Chicken Soup. Oh , what a treat! I cannot have enough of it. It is simple, delicious and so nutritious. Yum! So, would you give these lovely soups a go?
If you’ve tried this CHICKEN SOUP WITH GARLIC AND SOUR CREAM or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Chicken Soup with Garlic and Sour Cream
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsnip
- ½ turnip
- 2 onions
- 2 eggs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 200 ml sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place the chicken breasts into a large pan and add 1 litre of water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to the boil.
- Peel and cut the onions, carrots, parsnip and turnip into big chunks.
- Skim off the foam from the chicken, then add the vegetables and cook everything until tender.
- Take the chicken breasts off the pan, allow to cool a bit, then shred them.
- The vegetables will also be removed and chopped into small cubes.
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream and eggs into a smooth paste, then add a ladle of the hot chicken broth and whisk well. Add a few more ladles, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Make sure the sour cream and egg are at room temperature before adding to the soup.
- Now, the liquid obtained can go into the pan with the chicken broth. The shredded chicken and chopped vegetables can go back too.
- Bring the soup to a boil, season with salt, pepper and mince 4 garlic cloves and add to the pan together with lemon juice.
- In goes the chopped parsley, remove the soup from the heat and serve hot.