Quick Chicken and Potato Stew, a healthy and light dish that can be enjoyed all year round. It has a delicate flavour of fresh parsley and dill, and it's ready in well under 30 minutes from scratch. A delicious midweek meal for all your family.
Stews are the most amazing dishes you can come up with. They can be cooked in one pot, thus saving you time and energy on cleaning lots of dishes afterwards, and can be made with absolutely any kind of meat, veggies, grains, pulses and the list is endless.
From ancient times, people have enjoyed stews in all sorts of forms, from very simple, basic dishes for the poor, to more elaborate ones that could have been enjoyed by the wealthier.
Nowadays, stews make the perfect comfort food in the cold season, although nothing is stopping us from enjoying a delicious stew any time of the year.
This chicken stew with vegetables is my kind of food: comforting, but light and nutritious, super quick and easy to make, and one of my daughters' favourite food - all boxes ticked here.
How to cook chicken and potato stew
True, beef stews might be more popular, but they do take a lot longer to cook, so why not enjoy a delicious chicken variation in a fraction of the time is takes to cook the beef one?
- cut the chicken into chunks, and season them with salt and pepper
- heat up the oil in a large pan, add the chicken and fry on both sides until no longer pink - the chicken won't be cooked through at this stage
- remove the chicken from the pan and set aside
- in the same pan, add more oil, then fry the onion until soft
- add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds, then add the peeled and chopped potatoes, carrots, celery, and cooked chicken chunks
- pour in the chicken stock, add the bay leaves, then cover the pot with a lid and leave to cook until the veggies are tender and the chicken is cooked through
- add the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper, and garnish with fresh parsley and dill
This recipe is simplicity itself, I can't think of an easier dish to cook when time is short, but you still want to feed your family a healthy and yummy dinner.
My girls absolutely love cooked dinners, the more meat and veggies, the better, and I can't be happier for that. Finding the right balance is the key to a happily fed family.
I used the basic vegetables that make a stew or soup amazing: onions, celery, potatoes and carrots, but feel free to add any other vegetables of your choice, either fresh or frozen.
Chicken breasts can be swapped for chicken thighs, drumsticks and half legs, and cooked the exact same way - the cooking time shouldn't be much longer either. Do give it a go!
If you’ve liked my CHICKEN AND POTATO STEW or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Chicken and Potato Stew
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 large potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up half of the oil in a large pan, and fry the chicken pieces until no longer pink.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the rest of the oil, peel and chop the onions, and fry until soft.
- Add the peeled and chopped garlic, and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, carrots and celery and bay leaves.
- Add them to the pan together with the cooked chicken.
- Cover with the chicken stock, place the lid on and leave to cook until the vegetables are tender, and the chicken is cooked through - that can take about 10-15 minutes - add more stock or water if you like the dish with more liquid.
- Add the tomato puree, season well with salt and pepper, and garnish with freshly chopped parsley and dill.
- Remove from the heat and enjoy!