Homemade chicken nuggets recipe, or the best ever chicken nuggets. Crispy, hot, sinfully tasty. And ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken nuggets must be the most googled chicken recipe. And l can see why, they are some pretty bite-sized goodies that top the list when it comes to kids’ favourite recipes. Shame that most kids would only have the fast-food version, which l pretty much doubt has any real chicken in it. I mean, l do love a good rant, and l must have moaned many times before about how much l am against these fast-food restaurants. My ears hurt only when l hear words like McDonalds, KFC and the like. Come on, people, you can do better than that. I know that time is ever so precious, but fast food? Really? Rant over. For now.
So, coming back to my healthy nuggets. Why with a twist? Well, they have a secret ingredient to make them extra crispy: weetabix. Yes, that’s right. Crush one weetabix and mix it with the breadcrumbs and all the seasoning, and you’ll get the most amazing chicken nuggets. Not a problem at all if you don’t have weetabix, just breadcrumbs would be fine. Right, let’s start now!
Homemade chicken nuggets recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 weetabix, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Dice the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, crushed weetabix, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and parmesan.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour and have yet another bowl for the egg, which should be lightly beaten.
- Dip the chicken chunks in flour, then egg and then coat them well in the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick baking tray, arrange the chicken nuggets, drizzle some more oil on top and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, turning them once half way through baking to ensure they are nice and crispy on both sides.
- Serve them with any sauce of your choice, my favourite is still the good old ketchup.