Spaghetti carbonara with crispy bacon lardons, parmesan cheese and eggs. If you like pasta, you will love this classic Italian dish. No cream, no complicated sauces, just the real deal.
The recipe, although so simple, is posh enough to serve your finest guests with. And it’s so flavourful, it tastes even better than at any fancy restaurant where a decent portion would cost you well over £10. And dinner’s ready in under 30 minutes.
Who can blame the Italians for being pasta fanatics? If you can get big flavours from simple ingredients and there no need to slave away for hours in the kitchen, l’m in. Although l probably wouldn’t eat pasta every day, no matter how much l love it. I only visited Italy once, when l went to Venice and Milano. Needless to say that l fell in love with Venice straight away, it must be the most beautiful city in the world. I was really excited about trying the authentic Italian food, and was not disappointed at all. I can’t quite remember all the dishes l had, but one thing stuck to my mind, that even the priciest bottles of olive oil or parmesan cheese from the poshest shops in the UK don’t taste anywhere near the way they taste in Italy. And that’s a true fact.
Classic spaghetti carbonara
- 1/4 packet of dried spaghetti
- 100 g bacon lardons
- 1 large egg
- 40 g grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add olive oil and salt, then in go the spaghetti.
- Cook according to the packet instructions.
- Meantime, heat up a frying pan and add the bacon lardons. Cook until crispy. Mix in the garlic powder and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg, then add half of the parmesan and mix well.
- When the spaghetti are cooked, reserve a ladleful of the water, and drakn the rest.
- Add the cooked bacon and egg mixture and mix very well.
- Add enough of the cooking water to get a sauce that sticks to the spaghetti.
- Chop some fresh parsley and top the spaghetti.
- Sprinkle some more parmesan and black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately!