Prawn Korma, a delicious Indian curry with coconut milk, butternut squash, spinach, baby corn and red peppers, a quick and easy recipe that is mild enough to be enjoyed by the whole family. A healthy weeknight meal that is made in one pot.
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time25 minutes mins
Total Time30 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 people
- 1 ½ cups raw prawns (shrimp)
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup baby corn
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 can coconut milk (400 g)
- ½ cup chicken stock (broth)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ red chilli (optional)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cubes frozen chopped spinach
- a pinch of black pepper
- fresh parsley or coriander to garnish
In a pan, heat up the oil, then peel and chop the onion, and fry it until it's translucent.
Add the peeled and chopped garlic and ginger paste, give it a stir, and leave it to fry for 30 seconds.
In go the spices, give a good stir, and leave to cook for a further 1 minute.
Add the butternut squash, baby corn and chopped red pepper, pour in the stock and coconut milk, and leave to cook for about 15-20 minute until the vegetables are soft.
Add the frozen spinach and prawns, and leave to cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, add the chopped chilli pepper and parsley, and remove from the heat.
Serve hot with rice.
- The best option when it comes to coconut milk is the canned one you find in most shops. It's pretty cheap, creamy and flavourful, as opposed to the drinkable coconut milk, which is pretty tasteless and watery, if you as me.
- The canned coconut milk needs to be shaken before you open it, as the cream is usually separated from the rest of the liquid. Some recipes call from the coconut cream only, in which case you need not shake it, but for this recipe, we need it all.
- I like the curry with a bit of liquid in, but if you want it thicker, you can add some cornflour (corn starch) to it.
Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 801mg | Potassium: 775mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 8655IU | Vitamin C: 70.3mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 5.7mg