Leftover Roast Beef Cottage Pie
Leftover Roast Beef Cottage Pie made with leftover gravy, mashed potatoes and veggies, a delicious meal that best describes that comfort food is all about. It's packed with fantastic flavours, and it uses up any leftovers from a nice roast beef dinner. Quick, easy, and great for the whole family.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 cups leftover roast beef, diced
- 1 onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup leftover gravy (if no leftover gravy, use double the amount of broth, and thicken with cornflour)
- 1 cup beef stock/broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (either leftover mash, or make it fresh using 3-4 large potatoes)
To make the filling, add one tablespoon of butter to a large pan and melt.
Peel and chop the onion, and add to the pan.
Fry on a medium heat until it softens, then add the peeled and chopped carrot, chopped celery and the peas.
Give it a good stir, add the diced beef, gravy and broth.
Place the lid on and leave to cook for 15-20 minutes until the veggies are tender, and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit).
Butter an oven-proof dish, spread the filling over, and top with the mashed potatoes.
Scatter a few dots of butter over the top.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly hot.
- This leftovers pie can be easily transformed into a regular pie by using either puff pastry or shortcrust pastry. The only different will be, if you use pastry, is that the filling has to be cooled down before covering with pastry, otherwise the pastry won't cook well.
- Whereas with mashed potatoes it can be topped and baked straight away. The cooking time won't be much any different if you use pastry, just keep an eye on it after it has been in the oven for 15 minutes.
- I cubed the leftover beef I had, but you can also shred it for a different texture, it's up to you. Or even mix it with any other leftover met you have.
Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 2571mg | Potassium: 1001mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3090IU | Vitamin C: 96mg | Calcium: 373mg | Iron: 4mg