Indian Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
Indian Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk, a quick and easy recipe that is ready in about 30 minutes. Boneless chicken breast simmered in a rich and flavourful tomato and coconut sauce, with mild spices that give it an earthy touch, this chicken curry is a perfect midweek dinner recipe for the whole family. Nothing beats a homemade curry, and my recipe is simple and failproof, that anyone can cook it to perfection. Use full-fat coconut milk for a rich and creamy sauce.
Servings: 3 people
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (1 ½ cups)
- chopped coriander (chilantro) to garnish
Cup the chicken breasts into pieces, add a teaspoon of oil to a pan, and fry the chicken for about 5 minutes or until lightly brown.
Remove from the pan and set aside.
Peel and chop the onion, add the remaining oil to the same pan, and gently fry the onion until soft.
Add the chopped garlic, spices, and cook for a further 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken back to the pan together with the coconut milk and chopped tomatoes, and leave to cook for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce is reduced and it coats the chicken well.
Season with salt to taste, and garnish with fresh coriander.
- Make sure you keep an eye on the curry, although it doesn't need stirring a lot, when the sauce is reduced, it tends to stick to the pan.
- It is best to cook the curry on a medium heat, a high heat will reduce the sauce too quickly, and the chicken won't have time to cook through.
- You can play with the amount of spiciness you want for the sauce, I prefer it mild, but by all means, this dish can take a lot more heat.
Calories: 1801kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 155g | Fat: 122g | Saturated Fat: 96g | Cholesterol: 433mg | Sodium: 2017mg | Potassium: 3663mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 22.7mg | Calcium: 152mg | Iron: 18.6mg