Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore with potatoes, a fabulous Italian chicken thigh stew with lots of nutritious vegetables. Packed with amazing flavours, and so comforting, this chicken cacciatore is a great family dinner no matter the season.
Servings: 4 portions
- 4 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ red pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- 1 cup closed-cup mushrooms
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- 2 cups tomato passata (or any simple tomato sauce)
- 1 cup potatoes (cut into cubes)
- ½ cup chicken stock (broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 carrots
- fresh parsley to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat up the oil in a frying pan, then gently fry the chicken thighs until lightly brown.
Add the thighs in the slow cooker, then peel and chop the onion, garlic, potatoes and carrots, and add the to the slow cooker too.
If you use small mushrooms, you can add them whole, otherwise you can quarter or half them. Roughly cut the peppers, and add them as well.
Add the chicken stock, tomato passata and herbs, and cook on high for 4 hours, low for 7-8 hours until the vegetables are tender.
You can now add the olives, or you can choose to add them at any time during the cooking.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh parsley.
- The bone-in chicken thighs work perfectly here, as they bring so much more flavour, and they are cooked until tender and falling off the bone. The tomato sauce is rich and the herbs give that extra kick to make you lick your fingers clean.
- Since I added potatoes, there was no need for a side dish, but if you don't use potatoes, you can serve it with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.
- Browning the chicken beforehand is not a must, but it definitely adds a richer flavour. I don't usually brown the chicken breast, but with the thighs I think it tastes tons better.
Calories: 411kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 457mg | Potassium: 1305mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 6385IU | Vitamin C: 70.4mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 5.4mg