Leek and black olive stew, a light but delightfully flavourful meal that is ready in well under 30 minutes.
We have all got days when we open the fridge and have no idea what else to cook. Nothing inspires us, yet the embarassing rumble in the stomach says that just a sandwich won’t do the trick and it is high you cooked something more substantial. Right, how about something delicious, super quick and healthy? That would surely tick all the boxes. My vegan leek and black olive stew is all you need.
You’ll be surprised to know that the humble leek is a kind of a gem amongst vegetables, being loaded with all sorts of vitamins and minerals and only having a few calories. I should really cook with it more often. It does deserve to be the star of this recipe. The black olives just give it that final touch in order to reach perfection. Oh, yes!
Vegan leek and black olive stew
- 3 leeks
- 1 red onion
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup of black olives
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- Cut the leeks in half lenghtwise and give them a good rinse under runnjng cold water. I always rinse them even if l buy it pre-packet and washed, as they can still hide some dirt or sand.
- Chop them roughly together with the red onion and sweet red pepper.
- Heat up the olive oil in a sauce pan and add add the chopped vegetables.
- Stir and cover the pan with a lid for about 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to slightly soften.
- Add the tomato sauce and the 2 cups of vegetable and cover with a lid again for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquied has been absorbed.
- Throw the black olives in, season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately!