This spinach and egg drop soup is my kind of soup for the warm weather, light, super healthy and low in calories.
I must have said it before, if not, I will say it out loud now: I do not believe in diets. Not at all, not for a single second. Yes, there are loads of diets out there that claim to make you slim and supermodel-looking in no time. Yeah, right! What a joke! I honestly think that diets only mess up with one’s body and trick you into thinking that you are on the right path, but what really happens is that your body is deprieved of essential nutriets and fat that are vital for a good functiong. Honestly, if you eat a balanced meal and make sure you keep active, rather than being a couch potato, the results will be even more impressive and quick than if you follow the so called miraculous diets. Well, at least that is my view on this matter.
This soup, for example, is loaded with all the nature’s goodness, fresh spinach, spring onions, a few other veggies and an egg, and you get a super healthy soup that can boast your immune system and fully hydrate you on a hot day. You can even eat it cold, since there is no fat in it. How simple is that! Frozen spinach can be used instead of the fresh one, the soup will be as nutritious. But since I am enjoying my holiday in Romania, I get to use fresh veggies straight from mum’s veggie garden. How I love life in the countryside! I know that you have to work so hard, but then it is so worth it.
Light spinach and egg drop soup
- 500 g fresh spinach
- 3 spring onions
- 1 carrot
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 25 g noodles
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp freshly chopped dill
- Wash the spinach with plenty of cold water.
- Bring a pan of salty water to the boil and add the spinach, stirring for about 2 minutes. Remove the spinach from the pan, aside to cool, then chop it roughly.
- Chop the green onions and sweet red peppers and grate the carrot.
- In a large pan, add the vegetable stock and vegetables and leave to cook until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the spinach and noodles and cook for a further 10 minutes, now all the veggies should be throughly cooked.
- In a bowl, crack and lightly beat the egg.
- Pour the egg into the pan, the egg will quickly start to boil and have the consistency of scrambled eggs.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper and garnish with freshly chopped dill.
- Remove from the heat and serve either hot or cold.