Grilled teriyaki chicken is my all-time favourite food. I cannot have enough of it, flavourful, easy to make and so healthy. Every time I go to an Asian restaurant, I know exactly what I am going to have. There is something about this sauce that simply gives even the most boring and plain food a heavenly taste.
So I decided to cook it myself and I was so surprised how simple it is. Of course, there will be different ways of cooking it, but my recipe is super quick and failproof. The same way the chicken breast was cooked applies to any other meat, fish or vegetables. So if you fancy something else, make the sauce using my recipe and replace the chicken. I love having it either with rice or noodles, but anything else goes as well, couscous, bulgur wheat, quinoa, mashed potatoes and so on. Also, you can add vegetables as well to it to make is a super meal.
Grilled teriyaki chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 spring onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small ginger root
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- a dash of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, add the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and honey and mix well.
- Grate the garlic cloves and ginger and add them to the other ingredients.
- Dice the chicken breasts and coat them in the soy marinade.
- Cover the bowl with a clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, so that the chicken can absorb all the flavours.
- Heat the grill up and drizzle a bit of vegetable oil.
- Remove the chicken cubes from the bowl, transfer the marinate to a small pan and bring it to a boil, then let it simmer for a minute or so until it slightly thickens.
- Grill the chicken until tender. Transfer it to a plate, then pour the cooked marinade over it.
- Chop the spring onion and sprinkle it over the chicken, together with the sesame seeds.
- Serve it with cooked rice.
I am bringing this recipe to Fiesta Friday #107